Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
I never used or saw a VESA in real life but looks like great idea and getting a stand or arm for VESA mount isn't that expensive. You really had to have VESA in mind to notice the link to order a VESA iMac. Sort of like you had to know you wanted an extended keyboard with a Num Pad. Anyway, in my case Twelve South sells a stand to prop up the iMac if it sits too low, but wondering if I can install a VESA mount on a regular iMac.

Lemon Olive

Suspended
Nov 30, 2020
Personally I will buy the VESA option when the larger model debuts. That is a lot more versatile as you can make any kind of stand or mount that you want, and it makes moving the iMac much easier. The stand in the old models is like 50% of the weight, and is probably even more in these.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Reactions: Agile55

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Any downsides/negatives for a VESA mounted iMac? Only things I can think of are that we need to buy a stand or arm for the VESA mounted iMac which cost around $50 and that stand or arm won't match the color of the iMac.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
Any downsides/negatives for a VESA mounted iMac? Only things I can think of are that we need to buy a stand or arm for the VESA mounted iMac which cost around $50 and that stand or arm won't match the color of the iMac.
Resale value later? Probably harder to sell, especially without a matching color stand. That’s the only negative I can think of. I tend to only keep computers 2-3 years though.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I would reckon that a Mac with a VESA mount is far FAR harder to sell when the time comes.
If it can be sold at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.