Can we allow more than 150 characters in your signature?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by dmmcintyre3, Apr 7, 2009.

1. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I would like to put my computers full specs in there but I cannot fit it.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No.

Nobody cares about your full specs.

If it's so important, eliminate some spaces and remove the ridiculous 'matte" from your description.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Put it in your profile, if anyone cares they will look.

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I, too, sometimes wish I can put more than 150 characters - the fact that vBulletin code is counted is annoying.

But I'm also aware that if they allow more character, that'll only lead to a slippery slope, so I'll actually prefer they not allow more than 150 characters.

I like how the forums are kept clean and easy to read because no one has lengthy signatures with animated GIFs and flashing text like some boards...

5. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

No one cares about your computer's specs. No one. Not even your mom.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Of course she cares, she wants to be sure her naked pictures and movies will be processed smoothly.

7. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

Agreed. Big pictures in peoples signature are so effing obnoxious.

8. dmmcintyre3 thread starter macrumors 68020

I agree that images in your signature should not be allowed but 200 characters would be better

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Signatures are plenty long as it is. Shorter would be fine with me.

10. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

I'd love to place a small essay in my signature.:rolleyes:

Why would anyone want to put 150 characters in a "signature" ?

11. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

yep. MacRumors has a clean look to it. i'm so glad there can't be a million pictures all over.

we don't care what quotes you think are important, and every apple piece of hardware you own. or how big your hard drive is.

that's the reason in posting on a FORUM.

also you know you can edit your profile information right?

or link people to your myspace/facebook/twitter where you may have extra information.

12. bartelby macrumors Core

Ironic post of the day!
    :)

13. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

That's why I like it here. Clean, simple and easy to use. :)

Good point. Although I wonder about your signature as you list:

• 13.3" Unibody Macbook, 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM;
    • Mac Mini, 1.66GHz Intel Duo Core, 2GB RAM;
    • 8GB iPhone 2G

Anyhow, I don't think anybody here would want to read about the 14 computers that I have at home. Nor do I want to read about their computers.

MR could eliminate signatures and I would have no complaints. Thankfully, signatures are only 150 characters and cannot include pics. :)

14. dmmcintyre3 thread starter macrumors 68020

I do not understand why you are limited to 300 characters including BBCode.

15. bartelby macrumors Core

Otherwise sigs would be bigger than 95% of the posts they're attached to.
    Just deal with it...

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

What he said. :)

Seriously, signatures just clutter up the post space. Personally, I rarely look at anybody's signature. I did at first and found most to be something that didn't interest me.

IMHO, anything to keep the bandwidth down is worth it. So keep the signatures short, if we have to have them. Keep the avatars small. Well, you get the idea.

Don't try to impress us with your signature. Instead, impress us with your good post content. That is what rocks around here! :)

17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I used to think that putting your computer model, O.S. version, peripherals, and software specs in your forum signature would be helpful when you were asking for help with a Mac problem. Then I realized it's always better to state the relevant specs in your post when asking for help, rather than communicate that information in your signature for two reasons:

1. Some forum users suppress the display of signatures, which is a setting in User Options. They don't see computer specs in signatures.

2. Over time, your hardware and software will change, and you'll change your signature to reflect that. But your question from last year and the answers provided by other forum members will remain visible for other people browsing and searching the forums in the future. Without your specs in the post, the question and answer won't match!

Also, there is a great deal of forum discussion at MacRumors other than technical questions and answers, so computer specs are often not relevant to thread discussions anyway. Personally, I find it more interesting to see a reflection of personality in a signature (e.g., a slogan or a personal link) rather than system specs, but that's for each member to decide.

18. theNIC macrumors member

IMO, your signature as of now is extremely annoying. Nobody really cares about your matte screen (A) and where you can find a cheap last-gen MBP (B). Check eBay my friend...

19. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Because a signature is supposed to be just a short identifier, like in the real world. (Kind of redundant in a forum anyway, given there's a userid and profiles). Emphasis on short. Indicate your name, title, profession, a favourite quote, something with which I'll remember you by. That's it. Too many people try to use their signatures like "look at me! look at me!" billboards. Flashing graphics, colors, walls of text, long quotes, political statements.

I don't care what computer you have, or how many of them you have, or how much you've spent on them.

I don't care what you think about matte or glossy screens. I especially don't want it shoved in my face every time I see a post from you.

I don't care what questions you have about where to find things. If I try to answer, it'll be off-topic to whatever thread we're posting on. Exception: Post your questions in a thread of their own. Then I'll care.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Post what you wished you could show, and we can have some fun editing it down. :p

EDIT: Did a character count on the following, and it's exactly 100 characters.

What's the problem??

21. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Too many Caps perhaps? I know you can only use so many Caps in a new thread title. :confused:
    Try undercasing the gb's and ram, hd, etc. and see if that helps

22. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I'm fine with the current signature limit (although I don't mind it being raised a bit). What really annoys me is when people put a signature (like their name) at the end of each post.

23. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Instead of their name, they need something like, "Warning: this post is from a newbie, trying to translate their post into English may cause severe brain damage."

24. PeteB macrumors 6502a

PeteB

Over on my photography forum, us camera nerds build up quite a collection of gear. The same kind of signature limitation is in force over there, so we use links to gear lists instead.

A thread has been made up where everyone writes up their gear list in a post at the end of the thread and then use a link. So [B][I][COLOR=#000000][UR...410"][B][I][SIZE=1]-=My Gear=-[/SIZE][/I][/B]

[/COLOR][/I][/B]links to the post in question.

Pretty simple idea, eh?

25. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Yes, that's very clever.

You could actually do that here without a special thread. Just fill in your Mac Guides user page!

It's a little-known fact that every forum member can fill one in. Just go to URL
    http://guides.macrumors.com/User:your_name_here​
    For you that would be http://guides.macrumors.com/User:PeteB.

You can edit that Wiki page and say whatever you want about yourself, but putting your "specs" there and linking to the page from your signature is a great idea.