Can we change the power button back?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by bkribbs, Oct 24, 2013.

1. bkribbs macrumors 65816

I really don't like the power button. Occasionally, I will overshoot the backspace and hit the power button. Before, I would just have to hit cancel. Now I have to let my computer sleep and wake it back up.

Its not like a do it much, like once every couple weeks, but that's REALLY annoying when I actually do.

2. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

I'm looking for some way to change this, but finding nothing...seems like we should still have control over what the power button does. If I find something I will post, I hate hitting the power button and it goes to sleep, no options.

3. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

I agree, bring the old power button! I have mistakenly put my computer to sleep so many times by accidentally pushing the power button rather than backspace.

4. LV426 macrumors 6502a

I pressed it once, by mistake, on my rMBP.

But the sleep and subsequent recovery was so instantaneous, it was just about as quick as responding to a popup.

Of course, other hardware may cause more inconvenience.

5. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

6. mzuppiroli macrumors newbie

Thank you so much. :)

7. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

Good to know, but it doesn't change the fact that not having the dialog box pop up when the power button is pressed sucks compared to making your computer go to sleep every time you accidentally hit the button above the delete key.

8. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah I don't mind holding the button I just don't like accidentally sleeping it!

9. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

This does not address the actual problem, which is that accidentally pressing the button (which is right next to the delete key) puts the computer to sleep instantly!

10. ruqui macrumors newbie

ruqui

Yes, what I don't understand is why anybody would want a button to put the computer to sleep when you already can do the same closing the lid?

I don't understand this issue of changing just for the sake of change .. these "brains" never heard of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"?

11. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

Why not change it...it's been the same ever since the first Macintosh, and usually I'm pressing it to put it to sleep. ...on my MBP the power button is not that close to delete key, it's at an angle past the eject button, and flush with the surface of the Mac...if you're accidentally hitting it, must be using a third party keyboard? :confused:

12. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

on rMBP and I assume airs, the eject key is replaced by the power key

(no cd drive to eject anything from)

13. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

Oh! ...:(...well, that's not smart of Apple, on my MBP the power button is far enough away not to be accidentally hit easily at all (it's all the way in the top corner, it's aluminum and flush with the surface, kind of hidden)...but, then, I do recall accidentally hitting the eject button when I first got this...that's just crazy...if the power button is right there then Apple needs to have customization options for it. :p

Now I understand the dilemma. Perhaps there is a third party utility for the keyboard that will address this?

14. bkribbs thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah it's not the best design if they're going to make it function as it does.

I have a feeling someone will come out with a fix for it.