Can we charge the iPodTouch via a bus-powered USB hub?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by hajime, May 5, 2010.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. I consider to buy a 4-7 ports USB hub to use at home. I want to plug it into the MacBook Pro (2010 model) and charge my IPodTouch (Fall 2009 model) via the hub. Is a bus-powered hub good enough?

2. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

You might run into some problems if you attach other things to that hub at the same time. The hub itself will draw a small amount of power, and other things attached to that hub will also draw power.

I recommend that you sync/charge your iPod on one of the ports directly on the MacBook Pro-- each is full-power-- and use the hub for other, lower-power devices (USB thumb drive, mouse, etc).

Better yet, I recommend purchasing a USB hub that comes with a power adapter for full use at home, but can run on bus power in a pinch when you're on the go.

3. Apple-Man23 macrumors regular

you're fine...I've charged my iPod touch on at least four different hubs all bus powered. If you run into a problem post it because it will legitimately be the first time i've ever heard of anyone having a problem charging that way!!

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030