Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dammster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2020
Hello everyone,
I am watching all the news and forum posts here. But I still cannot find the proper answer.

Since many of you are getting your Macbook Airs, can we somehow compare the 7 and 8 core models?

Thanks a ton!

wyatterp

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2020
I just returned 7 core GPU with 8 core GPU MBA model

7-core model
First Run:
Uningine Valley 41.1 FPS and 1721 points at 900P, High, 4x MSAA

Ok after looping for 90+ mins here is the Valley score

27.9 FPS and 1167 points

8-core model
First Run:
Uningine Valley run 42.2 FPS and 1764

Cadrian

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2017
I just returned 7 core GPU with 8 core GPU MBA model

7-core model
First Run:
Uningine Valley 41.1 FPS and 1721 points at 900P, High, 4x MSAA

Ok after looping for 90+ mins here is the Valley score

27.9 FPS and 1167 points

8-core model
First Run:
Uningine Valley run 42.2 FPS and 1764
Might I ask your reasons for swapping and if you notice a difference with the 8 core GPU? I am considering swapping my base air for a 16gb RAM model and contemplating the bump in GPU and storage. Thanks

Reactions: Tozovac

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
When you figure with an education discount you can get the base for $899... it becomes incredibly hard to justify the 1 core. From all the things I’ve seen posted it doesn’t make much difference at all in actual use.

TopLista

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2020
When you figure with an education discount you can get the base for $899... it becomes incredibly hard to justify the 1 core. From all the things I’ve seen posted it doesn’t make much difference at all in actual use.

This is not entirely a good comparison; the $250 extra going from base 7 core to 8 core model does not just get you 1 more core but also doubles the SSD size to 512gb.

wyatterp

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2020
Might be dumb to spend another 240sh, but in certain cases the 1 core jump is significant, in others, not so much. Plus as another stated, the extra storage is very appreciated.

I don't have hard numbers as I'm just chilling and comparing...but some approx jumps for those interested

All these are steam native games, so all through rosetta

CIV VI runs about 10-15ms faster in the Gathering Storm benchmark - and also largely can run at 1050P vs 900P - this means instead of 25FPS in a very intensive end game - I'm getting north of 30FPS now with the higher end MBA. Incredibly playable game on a perfectly quiet machine, even after 1 hour of play time.

In XCOM 2 it largely plays a bit smoother, even after thermal throttling down, and runs north of 30FPS during games - when you are at your home base it's still a bit...bad, like 20FPS max. I was playing XCOM after I had played CIV VI for well north of an hour - so this performance remaining stable at 30FPS is pretty nice.

I noticed slightly more stable FPS in Total War: Warhammer II - basically all the benchmarks were just a little north of 30FPS, which is very playable!

I'm still testing, but the way I figure is this - the base MBA is very close to 8 core variant at early in a run, but after thermal throttling - you not only have a much slower GPU, but you are also missing a GPU core...I need to do the Uningine Valley throttling test I did earlier, but I haven't gotten around to see if the drop off is curbed by having an extra core.

Reactions: Sanpete

tyron

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2020
I do not have the same issue based on the screenshot. I have the 7 core GPU MacBook Air.
Thanks for letting me know. Do you mind sharing a screenshot of both your "General" and "Accessibility > Displays" configuration?

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2011
Thanks for letting me know. Do you mind sharing a screenshot of both your "General" and "Accessibility > Displays" configuration?
Here you go. As far as I know I haven't messed with any Display settings beyond switching to Dark Mode first thing when I unboxed the machine after the 11.0.1 update.

I use mine in clamshell mode all day with the Digital AV Adapter hooked up to my 4K HDR monitor during work hours. Just took some time this evening to open it up and browse MacRumors on the laptop display (external monitor disconnected) this evening. Looks great to me.

I was initially concerned about the display being only 400 nits, but is plenty bright at max brightness. I actually use it at half that and colors / retina display looks fantastic. Certainly an upgrade from my old 2015 MacBook Air I had years back. That display was super muddy with 1440x900.

EDIT: Fixed a typo.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 10.54.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 10.54.45 PM.png
    579.9 KB · Views: 611
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 10.54.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-18 at 10.54.14 PM.png
    363.6 KB · Views: 579
  • Sad
Reactions: tyron

tyron

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2020
Here you go. As far as I know I haven't messed with any Display settings beyond switching to Dark Mode first thing when I unboxed the machine after the 11.0.1 update.

I use mine in clamshell mode all day with the Digital AV Adapter hooked up to my 4K HDR monitor during work hours. Just took some time this evening to open it up and browse MacRumors on the laptop display (external monitor disconnected) this evening. Looks great to me.

I was initially concerned about the display being only 400 nits, but is plenty bright at max brightness. I actually use it at half that and colors / retina display looks fantastic. Certainly an upgrade from my old 2015 MacBook Air I had years back. That display was super muddy with 1440x900.

EDIT: Fixed a typo.
Thanks. Yeah I'm not sure what happened with mine. I did erase my disk (a challenge on its own, since you need a 2nd Mac due to the bug ppl are talking here), but nothing major after that. I can't recall how it was before erasing.

It's a very minimal thing, yet it's really bugging me since it's a piece of bright blue text instead of just regular gray... :( Hoping 11.1 solves that, or I'll try to service my unit I think

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2011
Thanks. Yeah I'm not sure what happened with mine. I did erase my disk (a challenge on its own, since you need a 2nd Mac due to the bug ppl are talking here), but nothing major after that. I can't recall how it was before erasing.

It's a very minimal thing, yet it's really bugging me since it's a piece of bright blue text instead of just regular gray... :( Hoping 11.1 solves that, or I'll try to service my unit I think
If you have an Apple Store nearby it shouldn't be too bad to run it by or send it back if you absolutely must. I would certainly be talking to customer support already to make sure they're aware in case you decide you can't stand it in the future. A good CYA just to bring it up now.

Reactions: tyron

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
The difference between 7 and 8 really does seem negligible.

Seems like for the vast majority of people the $999 MBA is the one to get. And they’ll be getting a very powerful consumer laptop for the price.

Reactions: aberdeenmeadows

alexreich

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2011
The difference between 7 and 8 really does seem negligible.

Seems like for the vast majority of people the $999 MBA is the one to get. And they’ll be getting a very powerful consumer laptop for the price.
I would agree. GPU doesn't really matter for MBA users. If you're really worried about intensive graphic/media work, you should be looking at a desktop. If one is going to shell out for any sort of custom spec, the memory upgrade is the must have. Apple laptops haven't been user-upgradeable for a good while now. Max out that memory while you can, in the order process, for longevity purposes. You'll never be able to upgrade it once it's in your home.

Rob9874

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2010
This is not entirely a good comparison; the $250 extra going from base 7 core to 8 core model does not just get you 1 more core but also doubles the SSD size to 512gb.
Exactly. I wanted the 512gb, which was a $200 upgrade and I would have to wait till a model was shipped to me. For $250 I was able to pick up the 512gb/8 core model last night, and I spent $50 for the 8th core. Easy decision.

Reactions: jsoto and MorganB

Cancelled
Nov 2, 2020
I replaced my MBA 7GPU with the MBP base. I am very happy that I did. Please correct me if I am wrong, the 7 core GPU are binned chips which I understand failed the specs. I thought getting the MBA with 512gb which comes with the 8GPU, but now I am thinking - do I care more about 512gb on the MBA, or the larger battery, larger charger, brighter screen, fan (if needed)... on the MPB... I decided for me the battery and fan was more important than the extra space on disk.

Argon_

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
I replaced my MBA 7GPU with the MBP base. I am very happy that I did. Please correct me if I am wrong, the 7 core GPU are binned chips which I understand failed the specs. I thought getting the MBA with 512gb which comes with the 8GPU, but now I am thinking - do I care more about 512gb on the MBA, or the larger battery, larger charger, brighter screen, fan (if needed)... on the MPB... I decided for me the battery and fan was more important than the extra space on disk.
They probably had one defective or underperforming core that was disabled, just like the 6 core 16MBPs use binned down 8 core chips.

Argon_

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2020
The discounted price is very appealing, so win win IMO.
Yeah. Binning is usually great, though I once had a computer with binned up silicon that crashed frequently. I wonder if the factory had clocked that chip lower, or knocked off a pair of cores, would it have been a stable machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.