Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Does anyone know if we can delete the iPhoto library from our Pictures folder once we have migrated to the new Photos app? I don't plan on ever going back to iPhoto so it makes sense to delete it, but I'm not sure if the photos are still stored within the iPhoto library. If Photos had moved them all over surely it would be taking up twice as much space on my drive, which it doesn't seem to be.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Photos app will make its own library using "hard links" to the actual files so it does not use double the space. You can delete the iPhoto library after the Photos library is setup if you want.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Photos app will make its own library using "hard links" to the actual files so it does not use double the space. You can delete the iPhoto library after the Photos library is setup if you want.

Thanks that's useful to know, I may hang on to it until the Photos app is out of Beta just to be on the safe side.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

If what you say is true then, no, you can't delete the iPhoto library because of all those hard links pointing into it. Unless the iPhoto library uses referenced image files.

I suspect Apple will make this easy for you and hide these details.

One bit of advice. Make sure you have multiple, redundant backups in multiple locations.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
If what you say is true then, no, you can't delete the iPhoto library because of all those hard links pointing into it. Unless the iPhoto library uses referenced image files.

One bit of advice. Make sure you have multiple, redundant backups in multiple locations.

Nope... what I said is correct. :)

Here is an article about it.

I totally agree with you about having backups before messing with this.

Garsun

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009

Your statement is true for symbolic (Soft) links but is incorrect for Hard links.
You can make many hard links (directory entries) to the same file and as you delete them the actual file is not deleted until the last directory entry is removed.

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/70863/Hard-Links-vs-Soft-Links

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Nope... what I said is correct. :)

Here is an article about it.

I totally agree with you about having backups before messing with this.
Thanks for the link, hadn't actually come across hard links before so it's useful to have it explained. I always have everything backed up in multiple places. Although in theory if deleting my iPhoto libray did delete all my photos off my MacBook then if iCloud photo library has done its job properly I should be able to redownload them all.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2010
How can I delete an iPhoto library? I mistakenly have two libraries, but want to delete one of them.

shanson27

macrumors 68020
Nov 27, 2011
Can I already delete all the not supported marked apps ?

mK8JY9m.png

jchook

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2010
Worth noting that, although "File > Get Info" will tell you that your Pictures folder is taking up 2x the space, deleting the iPhotos library in this case will not actually free up any disk space. So you're better off keeping the iPhoto library IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.