Can we expect 17" back or no chance?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Freida, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Freida macrumors 65816

Hello everyone,

do you think Apple will bring 17" back or is this it? I got the retina 15" but It's just too small :( Its a fast machine but the screen is just too small.
    Any chance Apple will bring the 17" back or you think because it was discontinued then there is not a chance as Apple think its over for it?

2. tiwizard, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2012

tiwizard macrumors regular

I highly doubt it. It'd be unlikely for them to discontinue a product line, then bring it back.

If the screen is too small and you frequently use your computer on a desk (I find it hard to imagine you are using the 17 inch Pro on an Airplane tray table...), I'd recommend an external monitor.

Alternatively, go to someplace like MacMall and buy a 2011 17 inch Pro, or look at Apple's refurbs.

3. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

As of now, the 17" is done.
    The trend is now smaller/lighter in the consumer sector. Unless there is a massive resurgence of demand for large notebooks, I wouldn't expect to see them back.
    You are better off investing in an external monitor or forgo Apple for another vendor if your heart is set on 17" notebooks. (the new Razer Blade would be nice if it wasn't so damn gaudy)

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I really, really, really... Well you get the idea :D

I like the 17" MBP's I've had over the years. I was quick to snap up a new one the moment it became apparent they were being discontinued.

Sadly Apple is obsessed with smaller sizes when it comes to laptops, which is fine, it's just a shame they tossed the one many of us enjoy. It's not like they couldn't afford to keep it in the line, save for their greater greed.

5. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Not a chance. The rmbp 15 is the future. You'll probably have to pick up the TB display like for more res.

6. z06gal macrumors 6502a

I wish Apple would, at least, consider making it a custom order. I realize everything is going small but the aging process changes things where vision is concerned. I purchased a 17" as soon as I found out they were discontinuing it. I do not sit at a desk for computing nor do I want to do so ;)

7. RealEyes macrumors regular

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I'd be interested to know how many 17"s they sold compared to the 15" and 13" MacBook Pros.

9. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Nail. Head. Hit.

17" is not portable, those days are gone. External monitor is the way to go if you want a bigger screen.

10. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Nope, I believe it was only 2-3% of total Mac sales if I recall correctly.

11. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Not from Apple.

Those days are done, as far as I'm concerned everything is going to smaller and thinner until it is turned inside out or ceases to exist anymore.

12. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

The future is relative. ;)

13. TRAV9614 macrumors regular

I think it was less than 1% of their total Mac sales.

14. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601

ChristianVirtual

Nope, it gone. Get one from Apple as long as they have some. Is a huge box; my wife is using mine. I liked it but it was finally too big for my purpose.

15. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Yep, I remember reading that, not sure where from though, or if it was a reliable source, but if that is true, you can see why they pulled the plug.

My old 17" ended up just sitting on my desk, may as well have been a desktop. My 15" rMBP is perfect, the screen is big, it is thin enough to carry every day. Plus, if your eyes are good enough, you can scale the resolution to easily multitask on the retina screen. Though I understand people sometimes just want bigger.

16. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

:(
    Its a shame. I think for me the best machine would be 17" retina. The extra space they would get would ensure that they could really make it a mobile workstation which is what i need.
    Yep, external screen is an option but that only works when I'm at home. When I travel I just take the laptop, put it in a bag and when I arrive to the destination I put it on a desk and it stays there till I have to move again. That is why I need 17"
    I'm not a starbucks user :)))

And as for low sales, well its not surprise. If you went to the apple store in last year before they introduce the retina they usually had only 1 17" on display and it was usually in the corner anyway so no wonder people weren't buying them. Apple pushed them out :((

17. eron macrumors 6502

There's a chance. Once they manage to design a screen that can reach the ends of the bezels, like how they improved from the iPhone 4S to iPhone 5. If the MBP's bezel is maximised, there's a possibility of almost a 17" display on the current 15" body.

18. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I disagree with most posters. I think there is a fair chance mostly because of why I think the 17" was discontinued.

They aren't offering the old 17" because it would be competition for the current retina 15". And I also think they didn't offer a retina 17" mainly because it is such a new extremely expensive display that was hard enough to source as it is. 2 additional inches add cost and it would probably have created an entire new price point while the 15" kind of replaced the old 17".

I think would say it is very much possible that along with a 13" sooner there might also be a 17" retina MBP again next year when the 2013 Haswell versions come out and the retina Panel aren't as difficult anymore.

Smaller bezels are possible but less likely. I don't think they will soon aim to change the new rMBP case and the bezel is kind of a design element. Making it much thinner would make it look like a new design, which I think is unlikely unless one looks at a longer time frame.

19. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

Apple should have at least released a final classic 17". How hard would that be?

Here's to hoping a retina 17" is released.

20. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

It was discontinued because they hardly sold any, though there are other reasons why the retina model probably wouldn't work in 17" form.

The body for starters, is pretty fragile. It certainly isn't the once-rugged block of aluminium it used to be. I wouldn't fancy carting mine around to do "field work", whereas with my previous unibody 17" I would've taken it anywhere as it looked and felt like it could take a beating.

Secondly, I wouldn't be keen on spending upwards of £3000 for a 17" retina base model, owing to the screen, and likely issues arising from low yields which would undoubtedly occur in the case of a laptop only aimed at the incredulously wealthy.

21. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

17" MacBook Pro Retina

GTX 680 SLI
    Intel Core i7-3840QM 8MB 3.8 GHz
    32GB Ram
    4 USB 3.0 Ports
    3 Thunderbolt Ports
    HDMI in + OUT (2 ports)
    Availability for 2x 768 Flash storage

On a serious note, they should make a 17" and add some more good stuff like a better GPU or more harddrive space, but sadly, i doubt they will make a 17" right now.

22. snaky69 macrumors 603

A very small percentage, on the order of about 2% of laptops sold. There just isn't much demand for such a uselessly huge computer apart from a few people that want a bigger screen "just because" and those that need it for work away from the desk...

23. leman macrumors G3

The screen has exactly the same real screen estate (even more) as the 17" model. I can understand that its too small for you, but the benefit of a lighter and smaller laptop outweights the reduction in screen size.

24. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I love mine, but I think the days of the desktop replacement laptop in general are over.

Fairly good quality monitors are relatively plentiful and cheap, and most laptops have sufficient processing and graphics horsepower to handle them. This combination-smaller, more portable laptops with external monitors at workstation areas has won out over hauling a larger laptop everywhere.

25. abhinav7333 macrumors member

I highly doubt it. I have one and love it thought. No need for another screen or desktop.