Can we expect a quiet update?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by direzze, Oct 21, 2009.

1. direzze macrumors member

There are not many differences between the MacBook and the 13 inch MacBook Pro now. The only thing that possibly warrants the $200 jump is the aluminum enclosure and the backlit keyboard - but still the MacBook has a larger hard drive.

I am more inclined to buy the MacBook Pro because I know that it probably has better parts, but for the average buyer, the MacBook is probably more appealing.

My point is, more or less, that it is getting hard to differentiate these two products and so the price difference needs to be balanced with a specs difference.

Do you think that we can expect Apple to quietly upgrade the MacBook Pro?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Clock speeds can't go much higher in the mobile sector. What else can you cram in there?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are more differences than you're noticing, as has been discussed at length in this thread.

Features the MBP 13" has that the MacBook doesn't:
    • Aluminum unibody
    • Smaller in every dimension and lighter
    • Supports up to twice the RAM (8GB)
    • Firewire 800 port
    • Backlit keyboard
    • SD card slot
    • Infrared, for use with Apple Remote
    • Optional faster processor
    • Twice as many options for hard drive, including SSD
    • Better heat dissipation through aluminum vs plastic
    • No risk of palm rest cracking or yellowing

http://www.apple.com/mac/whichmacbook/compare.html

4. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

is the screen quality the same between MB, low and high end MBP ?

5. direzze thread starter macrumors member

A lot of those features demonstrate the potential of the product i.e. "up to."

I'm going to pinpoint the memory example just to try and make a point.

The MacBook and the MacBook Pro come with the same amount of memory.

The MacBook Pro can fit more memory, but that's if you want it. And when you want it, you need to pay for it. So in other words, you're first "paying for the potential" and then paying for the memory to "fill the potential."

Giving the MacBook Pro the potential to house more memory also gives Apple the potential to make more money...

So I'm thinking that if an update were to occur, it would have to be the processor or the graphics card or just SOMETHING that makes sense of a $200 jump. I don't consider being able to give Apple more money a logical price justification...

6. direzze thread starter macrumors member

It was noted in the engadget hands on video of the new white MacBook that the MacBook Pro's screen quality was better (be it brighter or crisper)

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

The MB is very good but according to Gizmodo's review:

"They also have a really similar LED backlit display, which eliminates the problem of narrowed viewing angles that we docked the first generation unibody MacBooks for, and both now have the same contrast ratio. The only difference is that the Pro has a 60% greater color gamut."

8. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I hope they give it a little upgrade, but I hope they do it just before Christmas, because that's when I'm buying my first Mac - a 13" MBP.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't expect any updates to the MBP line in 2009, and no updates until apple readies the nehalem based MBPs

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In fact, only 3 of those features refer to expansion capabilities: RAM, HD and processor. The other features come standard.

11. direzze thread starter macrumors member

... and three of them are just aesthetic differences :p

In general, it's not a very good list

12. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Hard drive options isn't a real argument. It's MacRumors. We upgrade to HDDs and SSD better than what Apple offers. And yellowing hasn't been proven and probably wont happen. That computer has only been out for 24 hours. Optional faster processor. Well that costs a bit more and put its out of comparison with the MacBook at that point with a $400 difference.

13. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

GGJ's point is that Pro users will make use of the Pro features; upgrading the HD, RAM, FW800, etc. If you don't need them then don't buy the Pro. It's highly unlikely the Pros will get updated to "differentiate" them more than they already are; Apple is clearly leaving the differentiation up to the user.

14. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

A few people have floated the possibility that Apple might drop the price on the current high-end MacBook to match the current low-end, and replace the higher-end unit with something else (not sure what, though).

I'd be surprised if they changed the graphics option: Apple seems to be trying to streamline, and the 9400M is currently the standard card in the low-end iMac, Mac mini, and MacBook lines. Doesn't make sense to change it in one product (imo). Maybe a dedicated chip in the new higher-end 13" Pro, though?

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Exactly. The point is, with the MacBook, there's no place to go, if you want upgrades. The MBP platform can be customized far beyond the capabilities of the MacBook. Of course these options cost money, but at least with the MBP, you have options for expansion that simply aren't available in the MacBook.
    • If you use Firewire for faster data transfers, the MacBook can't help you.
    • If you want to control your computer with the Apple Remote, the MacBook can't help you.
    • If you prefer a SSD for better durability, the MacBook can't help you.
    • If you have uses for the SD card slot, the MacBook can't help you.
    • If you want the benefit of a backlighted keyboard, the MacBook can't help you.
    The point is, with the MBP, you have many more options than you do with the MacBook. The ONLY advantage the MacBook has is that it's cheaper. If price is your only criteria, the MacBook wins. If functionality, options, usability, power and upgradability are priorities, the MBP is a better choice. Yes, there is a price difference. It's up to each person to determine if the price difference is justified, based on their own needs and budget.

16. direzze thread starter macrumors member

Fair enough. I guess it is nice to have options; can't argue with that