Can we expect a Retina iMac or Retina Thunderbolt Display First?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by gmanist1000, Dec 7, 2013.

1. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Not sure if they'll name it "retina" but we can assume it'll be near 4K resolution. Anyways, do we expect the iMac or the Thunderbolt Display's to receive the Retina 4K resolution first?

2. Habberkuk macrumors member

I think that Apple will introduce a 4K/retina Thunderbolt display when the nMP goes on sale.
    I really don't think Apple will introduce any 4K iMac in the near future.

3. ender78 macrumors 6502

I'm not sure how big the market for a 4K iMac is. For the near future, the price premium taking Dell as an example is nearly $1000 at retail. I'm not sure that most consumers are willing to pay that premium. They may but an iMac and then add the 4K display.

4. gmanist1000 thread starter macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Maybe they'll take the same route as the rMBP and the cMBP. Offer both a retina model at a higher price, and the Classic iMac at a more reasonable price?

5. ender78 macrumors 6502

I would expect the the delta between the two to be much bigger in the iMac than in the MBP. If they only sell a few Retina iMacs, they will not be produced.

6. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

Seems like the margins would be greater on a $999 retina display only compared to retina iMac for the next year or so.

7. AndrewMRiv macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

I was wondering the same thing! I recently ordered a new MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

I compared the screen of the retina display side by side with a 27" iMac in the Apple store and the difference is very obvious if you look closely so I was really hoping that they would be coming out with a retina iMac.

Not saying that the iMac display is not amazing already, but it would be cool to have a higher quality iMac display.

The price would have to be pretty crazy if they were to do that.

8. Liffey macrumors regular

I'm waiting for a 4k / retina iMac to be introduced before I upgrade from my 2009 model. Hope it's within the next 2 years.

9. gmanist1000 thread starter macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Yep! The reason I ask is because my iMac is slowly dying and I'm waiting for a new model (obviously with a Retina Display). I have the rMBP and the screen is fantastic, I want it on a larger display.

10. AndrewMRiv macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

Ah! I see your dilemma. I ordered a new 27" iMac yesterday. I had been holding off on it a bit since I had been hoping for a retina iMac. Since it seemed there would be no hints or anything from Apple, I just went ahead and bought it.

Hopefully they come out with one by late 2016 or so when I want to replace this one heh.

11. mtmac macrumors regular

I really think 2 different 27" TBD's will be released with the MacPro next week. A cinema 4k display with TB2 to show off the new Pro, color matched. A second TB1 with the current resolution and aluminum to match the iMac. Both will have iMac form, laminated matte glass, usb 3, better camera and dual microphones. I think it would be more logical to carry two different TB monitors at this point just as they used to sell the Cinema and TB models. The sales of the TB1 models would be much higher, but the 4k display would also help sell their premium macs, Pro, rMBP, and the next high-end iMac. For several years this will be the primary distinction between their different product levels, until 4k becomes commonplace and gets adapted throughout their product line.

When you're speaking of retina, if you're talking about doubling the pixels of an iMac/TBD, I think that might be a few years away. 4k is already going to stretch the prices, and going bigger than that at this point would be too cost prohibitive with diminishing perceived value. I think we'd all feel good if Apple would even release a 4k display at this point, even though most would never spring for it. The more players in the market, the lower the price becomes. We will all benefit from 4k displays eventually, it's good to see the process has started.

12. John Adams macrumors regular

The display is good but far from amazing by today's standards.

13. c.s. macrumors regular

c.s.

Just found this thread from a YEAR AGO. Still waiting for this to happen.

It looks like a typical 4k monitor (Dell, NEC, etc.) with IPS goes for $2000+ in the 30" range and $1200+ in the 24" size. I don't foresee Apple using something without IPS. And they're going to use a standard panel size that's entering mass production. Dell just announced a 27" 5k monitor that would effectively pixel double the current 27" thunderbolt display, for $2500.

All this leads me to believe than any "retina" Apple display that releases this fall (27" or greater) will be at least $2999. And I understand that anything 5k will require new hardware -- even the current Mac Pro can't use it.

I really doubt we'll see a pixel doubled 27" iMac, because Apple would probably need to sell them for $3999.

I would appreciate if anyone who understands this better than me could weigh in. I think the most reasonable prediction for Q4 is a pro-only $2999 retina display that only works with the Mac Pro. I'd love to be surprised and see a retina iMac happen, but I have a feeling we're still a year away.

14. Serban Suspended

Apple can sell 5K panels easily with some low price than others...look at Mac Pro with D500/D700 etc
    I think we will see both Thunderbolt display and 27" 5K iMac in October
    The iMac starting from $2499

15. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

I imagine they will do what they did with the Retina MacBook Pro's, they will keep their current lineup prices relatively the same but they will add a new high-end option with 4K panels.

They would have to upscale the image on the 27" iMac using a non-integer scaling factor, but they already do this on the iPhone 6 Plus and retina macbook pro.