Can we expect a thinner apple watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MacInTrip, Apr 2, 2018.

1. MacInTrip macrumors newbie

i havent gave in copping the series 1 or 3 since its too bulky for my liking. Will we ever see them being slightly thinner?

2. Relentless Power, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That Depends on the technology in reduction as well. You have to factor the battery was increased in thickness for the Series 3, if Apple adds additional health sensors, the haptic engine, etc. Those are all things that are taken into account to make a Watch thinner. That said, I don’t know that it will be any thinner for the Series 4, it’s actually rumored to have a larger battery, 15% larger display and added Health sensors.

That Said, I look at the smart watch platform as a whole with other competitors a like. A lot of the smart watches are really not that thin When you look at them. Look at the Samsung Gear series, Garmin Fenix watches, Fossil, ect. Those watches are not very small in size either. lf Actually if you compare the Apple Watch, the Apple Watch is still significantly smaller than some of those other smart watches on the market.

3. wesley96 macrumors 6502

wesley96

Apple Watches are among the thinnest smart watches available. Series 0 and 1 were 10.5mm, while 2 and 3 are 11.4mm. Excepting those, the thinnest smart watch from a major manufacturer is LG Watch Style at 10.8mm. Thickness of 12 to 14mm are the norm in this industry. Therefore, by smart watch standards Apple Watches are anything but bulky. However, regular watches at a similar size seem to be at around 8mm thickness, so I can see where you're coming from.

Meanwhile, Apple is currently at a point where it's trying to cram in more and more functions into the watch. We got better water resistance, GPS, and now LTE and barometer. We might even get some new sensors in future models. While this is happening it would be hard to even just keeping the same thickness while maintaining the battery life. So I don't foresee slimming down any time soon.

Me, I thought it was kind of thick, too, but then I've been wearing Apple Watches almost all the time for the past 3 years and I simply got used to it.

4. Nell macrumors 6502a

Nell

I thought the watch looked too thick when I first saw it but bought one anyway and it really doesn’t bother me. I’d quite like it to be a bit thinner but not at the expense of battery or function so I don’t expect it to happen.

5. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I'll lend you my Seiko dive watch for a while. Then you'll think that an Apple Watch is breathtakingly light and comfortable.

6. baldachin macrumors newbie

They should rather keep the thickness but include a bigger battery and always on watch face.

7. thisismyusername macrumors 6502

This is Apple we're talking about. Of course they're going to eventually make it thinner just like they're always doing with they're other devices. They live for making their devices thinner, even if it's at the cost of battery life.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Almost certainly, but we don’t know when. It always going to be a balancing act between stuffing new Tech and reducing footprint.

iPhones and batteries fight the same battle. Apple seems happy with 1-day battery life. However, we don’t know if they’re happy with Apple Watch’s size.

9. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

I don’t think so with the Series 4 which is rumoured to gain more battery, a bigger display area (probably by reducing the bezels) and more health sensors. I think if they can pack that into the already small Apple Watch then it will be impressive.

I’m currently on a Series 0 and holding out until Series 4 later this year (probably in September).

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Actually, the Series 2 Apple Watch was slightly thicker with the larger battery due to the GPS, and the Series 3 is considered two sheets of paper thicker with the back sensor area, so the Apple Watch actually has increased in thickness over the course of two years. But as others have noted, in order to make it Thinner, there has to be a reduction in technology, given how much is incorporated into the Apple Watch with the processor, haptic engine, battery, heart rate sensor, etc.

I think some have these ideations that the Apple Watch should be incredibly thin, but I mentioned it before, look at the competition and how thick their watches are with the gear S3, Garmin Fenix, Fossil, etc. The Apple Watch is surprisingly smaller and lighter than those other watches.

For the record, I’m perfectly content with the thickness of the Apple Watch, especially the stainless model, which gives it a nice wright and makes it appear more substantial on your wrist .

11. Kognito macrumors regular

Kognito

The thickness of the S0 has never bothered me, though I do notice a difference when I've handled S2 and S3 models. Would I prefer to see it thinner? Not really... It would almost certainly mean a sacrifice in whatever the biggest internal component is - i.e. the battery.

Unless we see some new battery tech like solid state cells, I really don't think there's much room to make it thinner, excuse the pun.

12. thisismyusername macrumors 6502

If Apple only made devices that compared to what their competition makes, we'd be carrying around heavy bricks for laptops and still using flip phones or blackberries. Just because the current Apple Watch's thickness is good when compared to the competition doesn't mean it shouldn't be thinner.

13. Allyance macrumors regular

Allyance

I havre always liked thin watches, Seiko Lasalle, Skagens. The Apple watch didn't bother me at all after I got it. I realize it is the price you pay for all the functionality. Still nowhere as big as some of those chronographs.

14. danny842003 macrumors 6502a

danny842003

I would like a thinner Apple Watch but it’s way down my list of wants for it.
    I don’t want it to get any thicker though; I can echo other posters on how I have got used to the size despite being skeptical at first.

15. gigaguy macrumors 65816

The next display tech Apple is planning (microLED) maybe Watch 5, is more efficient with power so this may help with thinness in the future..

16. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

In the end it is ALL revolves around power and power is the dominating metric in such a small device. Physics is KING and the main dictator in size. All departments want to add their own new sensors and features but are limited by power available. So it is not likely Apple will trade off power (battery life and/or sensors and features) for a thinner form factor since there is so much demanded from such as small power supply. While most would like a thinner form factor NO ONE wants a shorter battery life and reduced functionality.

Sure efficiency will increase in each generation, however the 'line' is around the block on departments wanting to add more and in need of more power.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Micro-Led is it’s rumored to greatly impact battery efficiency, because it has a much significant less power draw. If Acccuate, then it’s possible that Micro LED could potentially incorporate for a smaller, more efficient battery, thus resulting in making the Apple Watch somewhat thinner.