Can We Expect Logic Pro 8 in June?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Rob Hicks, May 23, 2007.

1. Rob Hicks macrumors newbie

Hi folks

Looking to kick off a discussion here around the hopeful arrival of Logic 8. I put money aside to purchase Logic 8 some months ago but alas, it's not arrived to date. Are there any insider tip-offs that know about it's potential release date? can we expect something at the WWDC on the 11th June? or do we need to wait until the release of OSX 10.5 because there may be some dependant technology between Logic and the OS.

We've been waiting for so long now, any thoughts anyone?

I need some positive news to stop me going back to Steinberg (bad memories, pc's crashing etc)

Thanks in advance, Rob

iMac 20" Core Duo, MacBook 2GHz Black, Logic Express 7.2, GarageBand, M-Audio ProjectMix and way too many plugins to mention.

2. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

Yeah no one knows. The recent release of the new Final Cut Studio which has a lot of work done under the hood makes us wonder/hope if Apple is doing the same thing with Logic. Right now Logic has ram limitations from being a 32bit application. (Max about 3GB or ram it can use.)

If it were a 64bit program, it would be a monster. And would require 10.5 64bit to use all that power.

3. g1rlg0ne macrumors newbie

grace period

Does anyone know about a grace period? For instance, I just bought Logic Pro 7.2 a couple of months ago...If Logic "8" or whatever they decide to call it comes out in June, will I be able to get it for no cost since I *JUST* got 7?
    Just curious.

4. scottlinux macrumors 6502a

scottlinux

As far as I know there is no grace period. But don't worry Logic 7 is excellent. I intend on using it for several more years. I know some friends who are still on Logic 5.x.

5. sonarghost macrumors regular

6. quixotic macrumors regular

I've been waiting years...

I've gotten increasingly pessimistic about the release of Logic Pro 8. It's waaaaaaay over-due. I've been reading all of the speculation, possible release dates, and all the banter various people have had with apple.

Bottom line, nobody knows. But a few people claim they know others who are beta testing and apple staff at MusikMesse were 'excited' about the new version. It looks to be soon, but that's what we've all been saying.

My guess? If it doesn't show at this Summer NAMM (July 27–29), it probably won't come until the end of the year.

7. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

typically, the only "grace" you would get is if you bought Logic 7 when Logic 8 was already announced, but not yet shipping. Occasionally Apple relaxes this rule, but not often, and not in recent memory.

8. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

I would not expect Logic 8 until Winter NAMM January 2008 at the earliest. Apple recently pulled developers off of Leopard to work on the iPhone. Where do you think they have Logic 8 on their priority list? It’s sad, but hopefully when it does arrive it will be a Protools killer.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

can someone please explain to me this obsession with killing protools? and given how long i've been hearing people clamoring for Logic 8, while digi has been putting out steadily improving versions of PT, why isn't PT a Logic killer?

10. foheng macrumors newbie

Pro tools killer

Protools has it's enemies because it was one of the first and therefore the general assumption is it is the best software for recording and mixing. I don't agree with that assumption at all. Their hardware is way overpriced for the level of quality compared to some other daw hardware. The fact that you can only use protools software with protools hardware is another reason that some people don't care for them. No one wants to be held hostage by a company in their ability to make choices in what they use for recording and mixing music. A lot of people are bamboozled by protools as the "standard" in recording studios but there are a lot of other software and hardware solutions that are just as good or even better. The bottom line is it is not the plane but the pilot that makes the difference in the end.

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

but why are people obsessed with "killing" protools? is it not enough to use something else? why must those of us who use it, assuming it is effectively "killed", be forced to use something else? is that the goal? or is "killing" it just a phrase? and if the latter -- what does that phrase actually mean, and why are people so obsessed with it?

i just don't get it.

12. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

It's just a phrase.

Pro Tools is the industry benchmark at the moment in the eyes of everyone with eyes! I'm hoping Logic 8 / whatever it's called will live up to the hype, but I doubt it. I'd switch to protools in an instant if it was a good standard that media composers used, but its video handling and writing to picture aren't as good as logic. Currently.

Still, I'm sure Logic 8 will prove to be a huge annoyance for me. They never fix any of the reliability issues. Right now, I can't run more than a few instances of a 3rd party software instrument plug-in (e.g. EWQL) without it giving me the joyful Core Audio Overload even though I have tonnes of ram, and the CPU and Disk aren't even leveling off in the bottom 3rd of the system performance meter.

According to a logic help site I frequent, this is a "well known bug" and "everyone has it". You have to play through your song like 5 times to get it to play smoothly. The solution? Bounce to Audio! If I didn't want the editing features I'd do that to very track, but I do!! Argh!

This is one example of the work that needs doing to actually make a reliable package worthy of somebody using it in their studio all day. Drives me nuts sometimes. That said, I don't think I'd work with anythings else.

I guess there isn't any money directly in making a product super-stable. plenty of money in adding new features though.