Can we expect redesign of the original pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Lallo, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Lallo macrumors newbie

Before the Retina macbook pro was announced, people were thinking that the macbook pro would get a redesign (it did but as a separate product).

Now I'm wondering, I'm using an early 2011 13" 2,3 ghz macbook pro to make music in Logic. And most of the times, musicprojects are loading forever and CPU overloads are very common.

I checked some benchmarks and it shows that the cheaper 15" macbook pro 2012 (not retina) has double the benchmark results vs my macbook.

From the beginning I was just thinking to upgrade to more ram or and SSD, but since it's the CPU meter that always goes "red" in Logic, I figure it might be the CPU that is the real problem.

So anyway: I'm not interested in the retina macbook. Don't need the retina display, don't care if it's thinner and I can put in an SSD in the original one if I want to.

Do you think that they will keep the original line side by side with the retina for a long time or eventually just go for the retina?
    It seems quite early to upgrade my mac (only had it for 1 year, I used to have my PC for 4-5 year before upgrade) do you think they will come with any major update soon? So far they have only been doing silent updates to the CPU.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Within 1-2 years all of the MBPs will have the retina display.

3. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

This.

The new Pro is the future Pro. Once costs come down, they will no doubt offer an entry level one with lower CPU performance etc. It's fairly obvious now that Apple are trying to slim down their product lines to make them as simple as possible, and you can pretty much guarantee that the 13" MBP will be the next thing to disappear.

In a couple of years, expect a 11" and 13" Air to be the only things sitting beside the 15" Pro. Which in a way makes sense, as a 13" screen doesnt really fit the "Pro" name, where as 15" seems to hit the right size to portability ratio.

Ofcourse a lot of people on here think 15" is way too big, but I've always assumed those people were dwarfs. Afterall, I'm a 5ft 4in man, and I have no trouble with the size, and I'm tiny!

4. Lallo thread starter macrumors newbie

Well the 13" screen is completely fine for me because I hook it up to an external 24" screen if I need to work anyway. I don't think anyone care about those 2" extra. So if there was a 13" macbook pro with the specs of the 15" I would go for it.

But when can we expect the next upgrade to the macbook pro? Late 2012?

5. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

I went from a c2d 13" mbp to a quad core high res 15" last year and i have to say this is way better for logic, the high res has heaps of screen real estate and quad core never runs out, i've had it overload once but that was only one cpu core being way above the otheres. SSD for boot drive and then a big HDD in the optibay at 7200rpm is great for holding projects and music too

6. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

I think we can expect a killing off of the classic MacBook Pro, and a shift to the new Retina Unibody design.

I can't see Apple running two MacBook pro lines for more than a year.

7. leman macrumors 604

The retina MBP is the redesign of the original MBP ;) I also expect it to be dropped in not too distant future.