Can we expect some small internal structure change in the next few weeks/months ?

kalebnate

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
I heard that the iPhone 6+ would need some reinforcement at the weakpoint to eliminate any kind of bending when appropriate force is applied. Can we expect that during this Phone's cycle ? Did something like this ever happen before ?

When the iPhone 4 had cellular band issues, were there any changes for newly produced iPhones ?

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
When the iPhone 4 had cellular band issues, were there any changes for newly produced iPhones ?
The antenna fix appeared in the Verizon iPhone 4, however this was an entirely different model released much later with a different antenna (CDMA) so the fix could included as part of the antenna changes.

There won't be any changes to the iPhone 6 without it becoming a huge (larger than the Bendgate stuff) story that does Apple more harm than good.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Nothing this round. The 6S will be an inch think and can be used to hammer nails.....

Robert1-1

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
I'm going to disagree with the majority. I think it really depends on how many have issues and have been returned to Apple behind the scenes as well as how easy or difficult it would be to reinforce. My opinion is that it would be an easy fix and quite possibly something that would be implemented quietly very soon if the amount of returns were high enough.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 68030
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I'm going to disagree with the majority. I think it really depends on how many have issues and have been returned to Apple behind the scenes as well as how easy or difficult it would be to reinforce. My opinion is that it would be an easy fix and quite possibly something that would be implemented quietly very soon if the amount of returns were high enough.
Nope. Not unless Apple is prepared to do free exchanges on the 20+ million phones already sold and tacitly admit to a problem that doesn't seem to actually exist.

Robert1-1

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
Why? It would not be a recall. They fixed the home key issues on the older iPhone (can't remember the model) and didn't replace EVERYONE's phone. Only those that came in an complained about the contact bounce.

Nope. Not unless Apple is prepared to do free exchanges on the 20+ million phones already sold and tacitly admit to a problem that doesn't seem to actually exist.

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
I exepct there will be very tiny gnomes added to the iPhone. To hold the structure together with tiny rope.

Last edited:

Robert1-1

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
The antenna issue did not lead to physical damage and returned phones. There was an easy and effective work around. I'd much rather deal with that then worry about whether my phone was going to bend and deform. Completely different issue.

Did Apple make any change to the iPhone 4 when people were screaming about antennagate?

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Completely different issue.
Different issue, same precedent set by Apple.

If something is wrong with the design then you either fix it with a case or handle your phone a different way (i.e. don't sit on it in your back pocket), same way it was with the iPhone 4...

Don't like that? Oh well, just gotta:

Robert1-1

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
So are you intentionally trying to be obtuse? First, it isn't only back pocket carry that has lead to bent phones. Second, with the antenna issue, you had a dropped call. No big deal because it didn't destroy the phone. When it bends, it's physically damaged. A better comparison is to the home button contact bounce issue. Apple didn't wait until the next model to fix it.

Different issue, same precedent set by Apple.

If something is wrong with the design then you either fix it with a case or handle your phone a different way (i.e. don't sit on it in your back pocket), same way it was with the iPhone 4...

Don't like that? Oh well, just gotta:

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
So are you intentionally trying to be obtuse?
Nope, just realistic. You should try it sometime.

First, it isn't only back pocket carry that has lead to bent phones.
Any proof of this claim at all? (besides a random youtube whore trying to intentionally bend phones with his hands)

Second, with the antenna issue, you had a dropped call. No big deal because it didn't destroy the phone. When it bends, it's physically damaged.
So as was already said : treat your phone with care (i.e. not sitting on it) or put on a case.

A better comparison is to the home button contact bounce issue. Apple didn't wait until the next model to fix it.
Credible source? Need more information on this claim since I've never heard of this as a widespread issue and google searches for "iPhone home button contact bounce issue" aren't coming up with anything.

Robert1-1

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
Proof? What proof do you have that it is only back pocket carry? That is your assertion which is contrary to the reports. It's your burden since it contradicts the reports.

Only about 40 pages here on the contact bounce issue. I suppose you think this was imaginary too?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2595841?start=60&tstart=0

Any proof of this claim at all? (besides a random youtube whore trying to intentionally bend phones with his hands)

Credible source? Need more information on this claim since I've never heard of this as a widespread issue and google searches for "iPhone home button contact bounce issue" aren't coming up with anything.

jvette

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
Now why would they change anything when there are only 9 phones with the bend problem?

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Proof? What proof do you have that it is only back pocket carry?
Gee I don't know when someone says "the car brakes failed I didn't do anything wrong" I tend to want to see some sort of factual report on it besides just trusting the word of someone who could have just been being an idiot to damaged their own property and has something to gain from lying and saying it wasn't there fault perhaps?

How do you know they weren't just texting while driving? Or playing with the radio and not paying attention? Or putting their phone in their back pocket and lying about it when they forget and sit on it?

That is your assertion which is contrary to the reports. It's your burden since it contradicts the reports.
Nope, nice try though.

Only about 40 pages here on the contact bounce issue. I suppose you think this was imaginary too?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2595841?start=60&tstart=0
So a thread on apples support forums, THATS your credible source of a widespread issue that Apple changed the design mid-model? Where again does it say apple changed anything about the design in that thread from an official apple source?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.