Can we expect some small internal structure change in the next few weeks/months ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kalebnate, Oct 11, 2014.

1. kalebnate macrumors 6502

I heard that the iPhone 6+ would need some reinforcement at the weakpoint to eliminate any kind of bending when appropriate force is applied. Can we expect that during this Phone's cycle ? Did something like this ever happen before ?

When the iPhone 4 had cellular band issues, were there any changes for newly produced iPhones ?

2. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

no, because that would be admitting that the phones are flawed.

3. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

No.

4. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

The antenna fix appeared in the Verizon iPhone 4, however this was an entirely different model released much later with a different antenna (CDMA) so the fix could included as part of the antenna changes.

There won't be any changes to the iPhone 6 without it becoming a huge (larger than the Bendgate stuff) story that does Apple more harm than good.

5. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Nothing this round. The 6S will be an inch think and can be used to hammer nails.....

6. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

7. Robert1-1 macrumors member

I'm going to disagree with the majority. I think it really depends on how many have issues and have been returned to Apple behind the scenes as well as how easy or difficult it would be to reinforce. My opinion is that it would be an easy fix and quite possibly something that would be implemented quietly very soon if the amount of returns were high enough.

8. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

9. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Nope. Not unless Apple is prepared to do free exchanges on the 20+ million phones already sold and tacitly admit to a problem that doesn't seem to actually exist.

10. Robert1-1 macrumors member

Why? It would not be a recall. They fixed the home key issues on the older iPhone (can't remember the model) and didn't replace EVERYONE's phone. Only those that came in an complained about the contact bounce.

11. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Did Apple make any change to the iPhone 4 when people were screaming about antennagate?

12. pullfocus, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014

pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

I exepct there will be very tiny gnomes added to the iPhone. To hold the structure together with tiny rope.

13. mdlooker macrumors 65816

mdlooker

I don't think anything that they would publicize

14. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Gotta be more profitable for the gnomes than collecting underpants...

15. Robert1-1 macrumors member

The antenna issue did not lead to physical damage and returned phones. There was an easy and effective work around. I'd much rather deal with that then worry about whether my phone was going to bend and deform. Completely different issue.

16. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Different issue, same precedent set by Apple.

If something is wrong with the design then you either fix it with a case or handle your phone a different way (i.e. don't sit on it in your back pocket), same way it was with the iPhone 4...

Don't like that? Oh well, just gotta:
    [​IMG]

17. Robert1-1 macrumors member

So are you intentionally trying to be obtuse? First, it isn't only back pocket carry that has lead to bent phones. Second, with the antenna issue, you had a dropped call. No big deal because it didn't destroy the phone. When it bends, it's physically damaged. A better comparison is to the home button contact bounce issue. Apple didn't wait until the next model to fix it.

18. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Nope, just realistic. You should try it sometime.

Any proof of this claim at all? (besides a random youtube whore trying to intentionally bend phones with his hands)

So as was already said : treat your phone with care (i.e. not sitting on it) or put on a case.

Credible source? Need more information on this claim since I've never heard of this as a widespread issue and google searches for "iPhone home button contact bounce issue" aren't coming up with anything.

19. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

Is there no such thing as a product recall? Auto makers are subject to it, why not Apple?

20. Robert1-1 macrumors member

Proof? What proof do you have that it is only back pocket carry? That is your assertion which is contrary to the reports. It's your burden since it contradicts the reports.

Only about 40 pages here on the contact bounce issue. I suppose you think this was imaginary too?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2595841?start=60&tstart=0

21. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

Now why would they change anything when there are only 9 phones with the bend problem?

22. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

No op... Apple should make owners responsible

23. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Gee I don't know when someone says "the car brakes failed I didn't do anything wrong" I tend to want to see some sort of factual report on it besides just trusting the word of someone who could have just been being an idiot to damaged their own property and has something to gain from lying and saying it wasn't there fault perhaps?

How do you know they weren't just texting while driving? Or playing with the radio and not paying attention? Or putting their phone in their back pocket and lying about it when they forget and sit on it?

Nope, nice try though.

So a thread on apples support forums, THATS your credible source of a widespread issue that Apple changed the design mid-model? Where again does it say apple changed anything about the design in that thread from an official apple source?

24. dmystic1 macrumors regular

Out of those 20+ million how many are delivered and in the buyers hands?

25. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

Depends on the business plan, really.