Can we expect this on iPad 2 ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by soamz, Jan 13, 2011.

1. soamz, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011

soamz macrumors 6502a

Hi..
    I wanted to buy iPad , but heard iPad 2 is coming soon, so I should wait. So, Im waiting.
    Looks like, Samsung Galaxy has eaten 80% of iPad's market, since it gives better RAM, Calling facility, SMS facility, etc.

Well, Im a Apple Fan Boy and Im not going for Galaxy Tab. I will rather wait for iPad 2.

Just to get a feeling of happiness, I want to know few things,

1. Will the iPad 2 come in 9.7 inch ? Bcz, I love it as 9.7 inch only.
    2. Will it have 1GB RAM ? I think, we need it to kick Galaxy Tab and other Tablets's a$$.
    3. Will it have the facility to CALL and SMS ?
    4. Is there a date out for iPad 2 release ? I dont think, Steve Jobs can wait more, since Galaxy Tab has already taken its more than half market share in tablet industry.

2. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

3. ParishM macrumors regular

ParishM

i love Apple but they better pull a rabbit out of their ass sometime soon as all the new Android smartphones and
    tablets are coming out of the woodwork.

the new iPad and next gen iPhone better be pretty WOW
    if Apple is gonna keep their market share !!!

4. soamz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple is surely going to suffer a BIG BIG BIG TIME, if they dont give Call/SMS/1 GB RAM this time.

Or we are going to see SAMSUNG in the place of APPLE very soon.

This is serious. Steve Jobs need to get this bloody arrogance down and give some good features this time.

5. NakamuraDT macrumors newbie

First of all, I hope you know that everything about the iPad 2 is just a rumor at this point.
    Although there is a pretty high possibility of a new release (or at least announcement) in the next two month,
    given Apples "normal" refresh cycle for a product.
    Where do you get this numbers from? Seems not accurate to me.

The following answers are just MY guesses, based on no hard facts:
    Most likely, yes.
    I think we can definitly expect 512MB of RAM. 1GB would surprise me.
    Factorywise, no.
    I expect it to have a front facing camera to use FaceTime.
    Which at the moment is limited to WiFi use only but can be extended to also work on 3G if the carriers will allow it in the future.

6. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

1. Yes, I doubt Apple will change screen size as it would make apps feel different. (Buttons that are OK on a 9.7" screen will be too small on a 7" tablet)

2. Probably 512MB. Since the iPad 1 runs fine with 256MB doubling it will have a pretty large effect (Say 60MB is used by the OS all the time, you will go from around 200MB of free RAM to 452MB of free RAM).

3. I doubt it. You can use the Google Voice app for free texting though, plus you get your own phone number for it. They may add some kind of VOIP to the app in the future as well. But remember that you only have the external speaker, so if you don't have headphones or a headset you will essentially be on speakerphone all the time.

4. That info is far from correct, what is your source on that? The Tab is a decent device but it has way less than 50% of the tablet market. If the Tab was selling well the carriers wouldn't be continuing to reduce the price. Most people wanting Android tablets now are waiting for Honeycomb which is designed for tablets.

7. poloponies macrumors 68030

Nobody knows anything with certainty but the estimates are that Samsung moved 1.5 million Tabs by year-end 2010 with 6 million iPads sold in that quarter. It's hard to say what percentage of Tab sales went to people who would otherwise have purchased the iPad because it's a nascent market and far from a point where a sale of one product can be tied to loss of a sale of another.

8. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

Call and SMS??? Are you kidding me? How the hell are you going to call from an iPad?

Attached Files:

9. smitzzz24 macrumors member

Not that I really care to make calls from an iPad, but maybe bluetooth or the wired headphones ala the iPhone?

10. Syk macrumors 6502a

Probably 512MB, tad faster CPU, front & rear camera and will call it a day this go around.

I do think Apple has taken notice of the Android growth and that's a reason I feel you can pick iphone/ipad in more places than in the past and also bring the iphone/ipad to Verizon gets even more cellular uses.

I also think eventually they're going to wind up playing catch up to other devices.

11. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Well, the iPad has a speaker and a microphone.

How do you think people are going to use facetime?

12. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I'd be really, really interested to see some hard evidence for that ridiculous claim...

13. Syk macrumors 6502a

Phil A I think the OP was using sarcasm and trying to be funny;)

14. MacAddict1978, Jan 13, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2011

MacAddict1978 macrumors 65816

80%? Really? Funny... the iPad has sold nearly 10 million units. The Galaxy Tab only around 1 million. Last I checked that's about 10% of iPad sales. (These are rough numbers as neither company reports units sold unless it's a milestone and these numbers are through Dec 2010.)

The Galaxy Tab is also being subsidized with CONTRACTS via a lot of carriers. I'm sure a lot of those people are smacking themselves knowing their device is already obsolete and not even running a tablet friendly version of it's OS.

I'm all for the competition though. Apple drags their feet too much, and CES this year showed they need to turn up the heat. I'm actually considering an Android tablet depending on how Honeycomb looks/feels (when working versions are actually shown and not video slide shows.) Android is going to give consumers a lot more choice in hardware and pricing options so it will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Looking at the specs of some forthcoming devices, I'd like to see Apple really up ram and processing speed. It's also really hard to make a comparisson with all the "coming soon" tablets not sharing their pricing. I'd really like to see more leaps in software than hardware. iPad apps have a different kind of feel most of the time. It would be nice to see IOS updated for iPad to give it some more features and maybe a tweeked look and feel. Gestures sort of brings something new, but I think Android has apple beat with customization options. I'd love Jobs to give the owners a bit more control of their own devices.