Can we get a forum section for the Airpods?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by dwfaust, Dec 20, 2016.

1. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

They're out now, and there are lots of questions and discussions... can we get a forum for this accessory?

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I agree with @OllyW I don't see any value in creating a dedicated forum for one of many apple headphones. The iPhone Accessories is a logical place for such discussions.

4. dwfaust thread starter macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Fair enough. Question asked. Answer provided. I'm good with that. Thanks, gents.

5. Sandy Santra, Dec 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2016

Sandy Santra macrumors 6502

Half the threads in the iPhone Accessories forum are about AirPods. An AirPod forum would obviously be a good idea.

6. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

air pods are obviously a new product, newly released.

based on your registration date, surely you know that whatever the "flavor of the week" is, is what is going to dominate the conversation.

7. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

While this is true, AirPods are hardly an iPhone Accessory. There should be a forum for Beats headphones, as well as multiple Apple product accessories. AirPods are better classified under headphones, which serves as accessories for iPods, iPhones, iPads, Apple Watches, Apple TVs, Macs, and non-Apple products. Maybe MacRumors needs to set up a Music sub-forum that mirrors the way Apple sells them. With AirPods, Beats, Apple Music and iPods all lumped into the same place.

I was just wondering which forum I should look into to see a collection of threads started regarding AirPods, and settled on this one. Quite a coincidence this thread was just posted.

8. ipedro, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2017

ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

@MacRumors, can we please get an AirPods section in the forum? They're going to be a popular product for Apple going forward. Not just an accessory like EarPods.

9. Droidbricker Suspended

Droidbricker

That would be ridiculous, lol. Think about what that forum would look like in a year from now; there's only so much that can be discussed about bluetooth headphones.

10. AppleRobert macrumors 603

The pencil was basically the only thing discussed for a month in the iPad accessories forum and now hardly ever except occasionally so ...

11. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

The difference here is that the Pencil is only an iPad accessory. The AirPods clearly demonstrate that Apple's audio products will need to be classified as more than an iPhone accessory, or rather, spreading discussion about them throughout the Accessory sub forums of every product category, and in some cases the main forums where no accessory sub forum exists (like for Apple TV). And like it or not, Beats is an Apple Brand with a substantial product lineup -- where to discuss it?

12. CharlesShaw macrumors 6502

CharlesShaw

Maybe a forum for people threatening to return their AirPods would help.

13. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Whether or not a product needs an entire section is a matter of balance: bloat vs ease of navigation balanced with clear need over time. Do we already have a natural place for the discussions? Is it simply a matter of waiting a bit until the newness dies down? Or does the number of new threads persist and increase over time?

I think the wise thing here is to wait and see. If a real need emerges for any product and that need can't be met by an existing section, we'll create a new section for it.

14. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Thanks for your reply. For me, it's not just about the AirPods, it's a general navigation issue -- where do I go to post about them, or any of the Apple/Beats audio products? Do I always chose iPhone Accessory? Or do I go to the sub-forum I happen to be having the issue with, i.e., iPod, iPad, Mac, iPhone? And what if it's not even an issue with another Apple product, but I can't get my AirPods to pair with a Samsung Galaxy?

I certainly understand the desire to "wait and see", but it would seem Apple is only going to get deeper into the audio market, and the issue of organization is likely to only become more of an issue over time.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think we have a natural fit in the iPhone accessories forum and most people seem to post their threads in there without the moderators needing to relocate the thread. Overall, the volume of airpod threads is rather high given the newness of the product, but it will calm down. I don't think the benefits of having a specific beats/airpods forum outweigh the negatives, such as forum bloat, confusion (some people will continue to post in the accessories forum), lack of critical mass (once things calm down, it may not be a very busy forum), etc.

Just my $.02 but I think the structure that is currently in place works well and has not dissuaded or discouraged discussions

16. dwfaust thread starter macrumors 68040

dwfaust

17. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's not a problem, it's what this forum is for.

18. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

As @OllyW says, not a problem! All feedback is useful, because it makes us reexamine how we do things. And some feedback we decide not to act on now will turn out to be a good thing to do at some point down the road.

19. offkey1970 macrumors newbie

offkey1970

It would only need to be a small forum. However, Macrumors would need to be careful with it as it would be easily lost or broken.

20. Narked Diver macrumors regular

Narked Diver

Can we have a forum where people can post requests for new forums ;)

21. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

That would be this one, Site and Forum Feedback. ;)

22. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Thank you for the tip, found great threads there. :)

23. kylera, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017

kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Given how much prominence Apple is giving to the AirPods and the Beats lineup, how does a dedicated forum for Apple-manufactured headphones sound like?

EDIT: I just got a notification saying that my thread was merged with a previous one. I too would like to mention that I don't think Airpods are exclusively an iPhone accessory. Yes, the W1 chip plays practically exclusively with iPhones, but they can be used with Macs. Furthermore, the Beats lineup is a pretty substantial one if you look at it, judging by the number of different models currently available, and those aren't all exclusive to iPhones. In fact, some of the wired ones can't even be used with iPhone 7 anymore since they use 3.5mm plugs. Hence, I think it would be a good idea to have a dedicated Apple headphones section.

I know I'm not the mods here, but I'm just tossing this idea out.