Can we get an "ignore thread" option?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by dejo, May 5, 2010.

1. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

We have the ability to ignore users. How about the ability to ignore certain threads? Comments, suggestions, a show of hands?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Nope. Just like you can't prevent a user you've ignored from posting in a thread you started. Sometimes personal restraint prevails over technology enhancements. Just ignore the thread in your mind.

3. Weaselboy, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2011

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Can we get an "ignore thread" option?

I have seen this on other forums and find it useful. Thanks

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I find this works best... especailly in my little world.

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I could see how it could be useful to certain members, however I don't think I would use it.

6. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

I'd use it. The mind trick didn't work so well.

7. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Just ignoring it, gets my vote.

It's the free & easy choice :)

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Freedom to ignore works best for me.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Is there an "Ignore this entire forum" option we could get here?

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There is... it's called "Don't click on it." You can already exclude forums in Spy by adjusting the preferences.

11. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

12. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It was a joke…

And the entire forums is MacRumors in general. ;)

14. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

Hi everyone,

Sorry to bring up such an old thread but I thought in this case it was better to bring up an already made suggestion than make a new thread for it.

I have been wondering about this possibility for a long time and I find that I more and more often wish that this was possible.

Of course we are all free to ignore things in our mind, but I think in many cases it would greatly help the user to be able to quickly klick "ignore" and just be done with it. We then don't have to make the effort over and over, which can be quite frustrating.

You can look at it also from a pure forum design standpoint. Being able to ignore threads would clean up the content list of any given forum and thus make it more usable. It then becomes easier to follow the discussions of your choosing, and less likely that valuable threads get overlooked. This would have particular value for the mobile site, where you could then get more valuable content in one screen.

Additionally, I think this way you would save the moderator team a lot of work. Sometimes one enters discussion in a thread that is alright from the start but which ends up in a mess. In this case anyone serious about their forum participation could simply click "ignore thread" and forget about it, and when those serious about the discussion leave the conversation it usually peters out by itself. As opposed to them staying in there and making tons of reports which you have to deal with, or trying to steer the thread into a civil discussion. Or indeed becoming frustrated to the point where they simply leave the forum alltogether.

The number of registered users seems to be increasing greatly these days and it then follows that so does the number of trolls. Lately, especially in the "Alternatives" subforum there is a huge number of threads created mostly for the purpose of irritating or angering others. However the OPs don't use outright insults in their language and thus don't get moderated. So the threads sit there and take up space, and continue to frustrate the user. Being able to click "ignore thread" to clean up the content and save yourself the constant frustration of "just forgetting about it" would greatly improve the user experience of the site, IMO.

Maybe the technical implementation of this would take so much work that you don't consider the advantages worth it, of course I would then respect that. But I really think that everyone would stand to gain quite a lot from this, so I thought I'd venture bringing up the question again. :)

15. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

16. jon3543 macrumors 6502

That, plus the ability to ignore subthreads, and many other things, would make a web forum approach the goodness of Usenet readers 20 years ago. Will never happen.

17. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

I would like an option to remove certain forums from the search page, much like how it works with the forum spy.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can control click what forums you wish to search in the advanced search screen. I know its not exactly what you're asking but it is a work around to selectively search certain forums