Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TEG

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
That states that the iPhone cannot, and will not operate on (insert CDMA 2G Carrier) due to the technology differences between GSM and CDMA. Also, an explaination about how even though all 3G is used Code Division for Multiple Access, it does not make them all CDMA systems. At least once a day I answer a question about either the current or future iPhone working on Verizon/Sprint and having to explain that the iPhone uses GSM and Vz/S use CDMA and they are incompatible technologies. Also, about once a week, I have the same discussion regarding a 3G iPhone being CDMA, and having to explain that it is still based on GSM technology, not CDMA tech. Also explaining that the current iPhone won't work in Japan, because they have already shutdown the 2G networks, causing someone to say that Japan uses CDMA, requiring some information regarding CDMA vs GSM and explaining that the CDMA used in Japan is based on GSM, not CDMA like Verizon/Sprint CDMA.

TEG

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
make a thread explaining the differences and what you think needs to be stickied and then ask for that to be stickied.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Better yet, make a guide and we can add it to the forum header.

(Of course, I think we still have to figure out why the forum header sometimes aren't displaying, but that's a separate issue.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.