Can we get notifications ONLY on watch (not on phone)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Tammster, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

I apologize if this was asked before (I swear I looked).

I see no reason to have certain notifications ever show up on my phone. If every notification I'm interested in (news alerts, etc) buzzes my watch that's all I need. I don't want it also to show up on my phone. I wear my watch whenever I'm awake.

It seems that my only watch options are to copy the phone alerts or not. So if the phone gets an alert, the watch does too. If not, no watch alert. Am I missing something?

2. susan12369 macrumors 6502

There are many threads regarding this issue. To summarize, the active device gets the notification. If you're wearing your watch and your iPhone is locked and inactive, then the notification will go to the watch. If you happen to be using your iPhone when the notification comes in, then the notification goes to your iPhone.

I have mine set to mirror the phone, and I get my notifications on my watch. Hardly have to pick up my iPhone during the day.

3. Tammster thread starter macrumors 6502

Tammster

The notifications on the phone are still there on the lock screen on the phone. Even if I'm not using the phone. I have to clear in both places.

4. sumsingwong macrumors 6502

sumsingwong

When I dismiss the notification on my watch, I don't see it on my phone.

5. PsychOK macrumors member

This is really annoying. I've had to re-pair my watch 3 times already to fix this. Notifications will all the sudden start going to my phone first and then my watch around 30 seconds later. Unpairing and then repairing my watch to my phone temporally fixes the problem for a day or so but then it comes back. Does anyone know what to do about this?

6. jannette macrumors 6502

I had a similar problem. After talking to a senior Apple support person, she was baffled. She said it might help to re-set my phone as a new phone. Erase everything and install a fresh copy of IOS 8.3. I did this...against my gut feeling....but it worked. Everything is working great. The downside was that I had to set my watch up as a new one and I lost all my apps, music etc on my phone. I was told not to install a back up...but I could download my music, contacts and photos from iCloud and my apps from the App Store.