Can we have a wide-angle lens vs telephoto lens photography comparison thread? (7 Plus only)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VertPin, Sep 20, 2016.

1. VertPin macrumors 6502

VertPin

So, I won't have my iPhone 7 Plus until Friday night. However, I would LOVE to see a definitive thread where people with the iPhone 7 Plus take a photo of an object, land, setting, or scenery in both the wide-angle lens and the telephoto lens (1x and 2x only).

It would be great to see what how the telephoto lens fairs when compared to the same/similar shot against the wide-angle lens. So if anyone is willing to share, do so here!

2. makinbiscuits macrumors member

Super simple photo taken at my work bench. I'd say distance is a bout five inches.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. VertPin thread starter macrumors 6502

VertPin

More like this, for sure. As soon as I get mine, I want to do some outdoor shots downtown.

4. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

5. VertPin thread starter macrumors 6502

VertPin

6. phixionalninja, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016

phixionalninja macrumors member

From my initial tests, I don't think the longer lens can actually focus that close. Try covering one lens or the other with your finger while switching between 1x and 2x at that distance to see what lens it's actually using. I'd be very curious to see if you're getting optical instead of digital zoom that close!

EDIT: it also uses digital instead of optical for 2x if you don't have bright light available, so it can use the OIS on the shorter lens.

EDIT again: you can check the EXIF data to be sure which lens it used. It also seems to choose based on the brightness detected by the phone (presumably the sensor used for screen brightness) instead of what the camera sees. I'm basing that on the fact that shooting out the window from a dim room kept using the wide lens, while shooting the floor standing next to the window while sunlight fell on the phone let it switch to the longer lens.

7. Bigserver1 macrumors regular

The optical 2x zoom is no joke. I'm excited for software developers to write using that lens into their apps. It should/could make a massive difference for instagram/Snapchat, etc.

Also, I'm sure whenever the fauxkeh effect iOS update drops that will give additional power to the dual set up. Part of me feels like this feature is this phones Touch ID. At first a very cool feature with one way to use it, but now, integrated into a ton of apps and way more useful.

8. UKFan643 macrumors regular

Check out iMore and the pictures both Rene and Serenity have been posting on Twitter. Lots of good examples for you.

9. andcool69 macrumors member

1X
    --- Post Merged, Sep 20, 2016 ---
    2X

Attached Files:

10. vngannxx macrumors newbie

Here are some low light shots.

At 28mm (3.99mm),iPhone 7 Plus, f/1.8, 1/15, 3.99mm, ISO40
    IMG_0159.jpg

At 56mm (6.60mm),iPhone 7 Plus, f/2.8, 1/60, 6.6mm, ISO80
    IMG_0160.JPG

11. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Wow, nice shots. That 2x optical is quite good.

12. laurenbanjo macrumors member

Making me excited for when mine gets here! The reason I got the plus this year was because of the telephoto lens.

13. vngannxx macrumors newbie

Here are some more 2X photos.

f/2.8, 1/220, 6.6mm, ISO20
    IMG_0020.jpg
    f/2.8, 1/60, 6.6mm, ISO40
    IMG_0148.JPG