Can we have lighter rather than thinner MBP?

hajime

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I would rather have a light than a thin MBP. Even the thickness of a 2010 17" MBP (about 2 cm) is acceptable.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
They kind of go hand in hand together. Making something thinner generally involves using smaller components which usually weigh less.

Reactions: chabig

hajime

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Maybe less thin computers could allow user upgradable components?

Sterkenburg

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2016
Maybe less thin computers could allow user upgradable components?
Obviously they could, but that ship has sailed a long time ago. Apple might eventually reintroduce an upgradeable Mac Pro (they hinted to it, I really hope they do), but for laptops I don't think it's ever going to happen again.
And this is not limited to Apple either, pretty much all the market and makers are going this way. I miss my upgradeable 17" MBP, but I've long come to grips with the idea that I'll never own another laptop like that again.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 68030
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Simple answer is yes but it would be a radical change of materials and design for Apple

Simplistically the Ali case we are familiar with is machined from a solid leaving a relatively open interior to fit components etc, they play around with materials and thickness of the case left to give the rigidity, hence some of the little ridges you see. Introducing additional supports would mean the case could be thinner yet remain ridged but would hinder the relative openness to place components, but the saved weight could mean the case could be deeper

Opting to go for cast and machined magnesium alloy (which has it's own set of problems) would probably give a greater scope to achieve a deeper case with the same weight and rigidity as far more complex shapes and supports could be cast that would be almost exhaustive to do by just machining (See the surface pro or book vents) of course same issue on openness for placing components

Some of the carbon fibre/composite designs have already shown that it's possible eg some of the top of the range Sony Vaio Z laptops component for component were actually lighter than the MBA's but were not as thin, but thinness got the headline however the CF designs tend not as ridged generally and are designed to flex

Material and manufacture methods are extremely complex with a series of trade-off that has to be balanced.

For volume production and finish coating/colour options Aluminium Alloys are probably the better/cheapest option overall compared to Magnesium and Carbon composites that may offer other benefits

Else Plastics lets not even go there :)

Last edited:
Reactions: hajime

hajime

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
As I recall, my Thinkpad T21's case was made of carbon fiber. It was about 20 years ago.

Reactions: Queen6

ascender

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2005
I quite like the weight of the MBP - it gives it a nice feeling when using it. Using something like a rMB is a very different feel and while I like it when out and about, I much prefer the heft of a MBP when working at my desk.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
How about neither?

Apple has jumped the shark - a 15" is too light to reliably remain in place on a desk, and too thin to support essential functioning.