Can We Hide Newsstand Yet?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HappyDude20, Apr 7, 2012.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Admittedly I have purchased a magazine, but have finished reading it and that newsstand app is an eyesore. Can we get rid of it in the new iPad yet?

2. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

nope.
    you could try that-hide-the-newsstand-trick-

but reading the comments is something I would suggest doing before trying it. (apparently there are some issues)

other than that, just toss Newsstand on the last page, forget about it it, and enjoy life :)

3. Gilly Gil macrumors regular

there is a way you can put in a folder so you won't have to see it by creating a new folder. while it wiggles you can attempt to put it in the folder. it does work after a few tries.

4. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

At first, I hated the newsstand feature, but I began to purchase a lot more magazines. I probably have a total of 10-15 magazines and newspapers in it and it keeps it nicely organized. I even have it on my dock. It's great on the iPad, but not so great on the iPhone. The hiding within in a group is tricky and requires you to be super fast in dragging it into the group while it is "wiggling." However, once the newsstand app/folder is in there, you can no longer use it. It will crash every time you try to open it. Only way to fix it is to remove it from the group.

5. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I've tried repeatedly to drag it in there, perhaps someone knows of a trick to get it in? (lol, that's what she said)

6. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

The combination of your username, avatar and comment resulted in an actual beverage spew :D

Of course, it’s the second adult “mystery” bev from the wife, so I’m feeling a little loopy :)

7. JP89Hornet macrumors regular

JP89Hornet

I'd like to get rid of the stocks app... Haha

8. SweetDove macrumors regular

The only way I managed to get rid of it was by jail breaking.

9. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

Same, I hated newsstand but the subscriptions to popular science, Macworld, Inc and a few others I enjoy are like $1-$2 a month... Now it's one of my favorite things! That might be because of the new iPads screen too though!

10. albertxp06 macrumors regular

It worked nicely in iOS 5.0.1. But it seems like Apple has corrected this glitch in 5.1 and you can no longer hide Newstand within a folder. After upgrading, I made the mistake of taking it out and now it's all alone on the last page.

11. ru4real macrumors member

This is correct - Apple fixed the bug that allowed us to hide it. I'm not sure why, but my newsstand also took itself out of the folder I had hidden it in... all by itself. Boo.

I also agree with the comment that newsstand is way (way WAY) better on the iPad than on the iPhone. I'd love to kill it on my iPhone, but have found myself using is several times on the iPad.

12. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

I can't understand why apple "fixed" this bug, clearly it showed that we want to be able to hide it, instead of giving us that feature, they turned their efforts to making sure we can't hide it.

I'm not too fussed about it on my iPad as a i have a few of those sample issues on there, and may revert to reading magazines on there instead of print, but I wish i could get rid of it on my iPhone.

13. iBighouse, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012

iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

Newstand Buggin' You?

Here's what you do...Get your screen icons all wiggley-like.

Drag the Newstand to your last screen...then...drag it off into a screen AFTER your last screen.

So now you've banished the Newstand to an isolated existence away from all your other icons to never bother you again. Poor old sad and lonely newstand! Voted off the island and now in a home screen for misfit toys all by itself!!!

Update: I was feeling kind of bad about banishing my Newstand...it's still there all alone, but I may go visit it from time to time to make myself feel better about its punishment.

14. brand macrumors 601

brand

Because it was a bug.

15. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I just dragged it to a page of apps all by itself, that way I don't have to look at it. Turned off notifications and done.

Apple must have some special deal with the magazine publishers that said "We will force all iOS users to stare at that Newsstand icon" in order to pull this off.

16. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

Touché