Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirNicholas

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2009
Also, about the people who want to pick it up today vs. having it delivered monday, and the people that are calling us losers basically....

Hey, I have a job, and typically a busy night even after my work at the office is done. I go to this job *every day*, so try to understand, there is a huge difference between getting something like this early saturday, which is the weekend, and monday, which is a work day. There's a lot of stuff to set up on the macbook for what I want to use it for, and setting up that stuff takes time. There's a lot of time on the weekend, not nearly us much during the work week. Try to understand that and not be so judgmental.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Most of my electronics is arries via UPS or Fedex.

I find it easier an far more convenient than having to go to the store.

I don't understand the obsession some have of having to go to a particular store to buy something.

rudyrox

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2009
fedex is dumb too. its in new jersey. it takes maybe 2 hours to get to where i am, and they say its not going to be delivered early, still on tuseday. I HIGHLY doubt that. im expecting an afternoon delivery on monday

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
fedex is dumb too. its in new jersey. it takes maybe 2 hours to get to where i am, and they say its not going to be delivered early, still on tuseday. I HIGHLY doubt that. im expecting an afternoon delivery on monday

If its "home delivery", not delivered to the home but the actual type of fed ex service home delivery does not provide deliveries on Mondays.

ManuelAppleSeed

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2009
Epiphany

So your pis*ed off because Fedex wouldn't let you pick your package up, and this gives you the notion that OSX sucks and Windows will do a better job in the future?

Sweet.

Technically, Apple can't do much. It's up to the carrier whether or not you can come for collection. It depends on their staffing levels i.e. how many, if at all, staff work on Saturdays at your local facility. They can't just wait around because some guy feels its ok to pick their consignment up early.

Sorry, but thats a flawed argument.

I had an epiphany today. Apple won't have the best OS forever, that is just a given. Although I have been a loyal Apple customer for many years, I am open to the possibility of switching over to a better product at a lower cost if it should come along; this incident made that clear.

ManuelAppleSeed

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2009
Work demands explain why some impatient with late delivery

Also, about the people who want to pick it up today vs. having it delivered monday, and the people that are calling us losers basically....

Hey, I have a job, and typically a busy night even after my work at the office is done. I go to this job *every day*, so try to understand, there is a huge difference between getting something like this early saturday, which is the weekend, and monday, which is a work day. There's a lot of stuff to set up on the macbook for what I want to use it for, and setting up that stuff takes time. There's a lot of time on the weekend, not nearly us much during the work week. Try to understand that and not be so judgmental.

SirNicholas knows first hand what the demands can be like for the professional Mac user. Thanks for pointing out the time it takes to set up before starting to work.

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
I had an epiphany today. Apple won't have the best OS forever, that is just a given. Although I have been a loyal Apple customer for many years, I am open to the possibility of switching over to a better product at a lower cost if it should come along; this incident made that clear.

I totally understand where your coming from and I totally believe that operating systems can shift dramatically - as the competition grows. However, i wasn't arguing that. I was relating to the logistics aspect and why Fedex not allowing you to pick your MBP up. Had Apple been the carrier, its understandable but they're not in the courier business thus the reason why they hand over their goods over to a third party courier - in this case Fedex.

I bet that if you had ordered a system with Dell and Fedex was delivering it - it would of been the same (if not worse) regardless. Its entirely down to your local Fedex facility and their procedures.

Cheers, and I hope you don't take it the wrong way - I come in peace :D.

ManuelAppleSeed

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2009
Apple contract with Fedex not fair to consumer

I totally understand where your coming from and I totally believe that operating systems can shift dramatically - as the competition grows. However, i wasn't arguing that. I was relating to the logistics aspect and why Fedex not allowing you to pick your MBP up. Had Apple been the carrier, its understandable but they're not in the courier business thus the reason why they hand over their goods over to a third party courier - in this case Fedex.

I bet that if you had ordered a system with Dell and Fedex was delivering it - it would of been the same (if not worse) regardless. Its entirely down to your local Fedex facility and their procedures.

Cheers, and I hope you don't take it the wrong way - I come in peace :D.

Thanks for the olive branch. I did my research and discovered that the reason why we are not able to pick up Fedex shipments from Apple on Saturday has to do with a contract Apple has with Fedex. Fedex does allow for Saturday pickups. Some of the details had to do with bundled shipments on palettes; supposedly Apple saves money with the palette option. Also, if I had contacted Apple earlier in the week when my MBP shipped I could have asked to pick up the order, but that wasn't guaranteed as I was told by an Apple online store representative today. Bottom line: The contract should have made provisions for delayed orders.
I've calmed down a bit and have accepted that I have to wait until Monday. The work will get done. Reminder to self with future urgent orders: ask to pick up your order if the shipment looks like it may arrives on a Saturday and do it before Friday. The urgency stemmed from the fact that Apple delayed the shipment and I have work pending that I can't do on the Mac I have now.
You see, I was laid off of my job at a major newspaper as a lead Graphic Designer in the advertising art department. The whole advertising art department was laid off and the work was outsourced to India and is still being outsourced to India. I had a MacPro at that job so I didn't have a need for one at home. I have a MacMini at home. I started my own ad agency in January this year and work is rolling in and the MacMini can't keep up. Try making a memorial-movie for a funeral on a MacMini PowerPC. Or try to process a photo shoot in Adobe Lightroom with raw image files on a MacMini PowerPC - it's painful. Can you see my urgency. I have two jobs that will help bring in income and I'm waiting for that MBP. I'm a grown man and I've never been prone to crying like I have been recently. I don't want to lose my home or my dogs or my friends. Do you see the irony. I've been waiting for my MBP to get here from China. But, I'll be okay. I'm reinventing myself and if sometimes I sound angry it's because I've never had to deal with anger like this or sadness like this.
Thanks for allowing me to vent y'all. As long as I've been using Mac, I do know that Mac users support each other.
Trying to survive in Corpus Christ,
Manuel

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
Seriously! Is the OP so impatient that he can't wait a few days for his laptop to be hand delivered to his door? Save the gas, and be patient.

looks like im not the only one! and of course we are impatient, its very exciting to see your mbp is in your town!! on a side note, it didn't get to NJ till sunday despite leaving indiana on friday 3:40AM, so i will be waiting till tomorrow! :)

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008
It is baffling the posts on this forum these days. Really sad. The OP obviously has way too much time on his hands, and no life whatsoever.

Wow.. bashing someone excited for their new unibody. Obviously there are many in the same situation as me, as seen by the popularity of this thread and responses to this post. Lighten up a little, enjoy life! Don't be so critical all the time! :)

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 25, 2008

Agreed!

NightSailor

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
Connecticut
If you didn't talk to Apple before Friday about picking up your package you are out of luck if you want to pick it up on Saturday. You'll have it Monday. I'm in the same pickle with my MBP17Unibody. It's sitting at a Fedex location only 5 miles from my house; it's been there since 8:42 this morning and I have to wait 'til Monday by 10:30am. I just don't believe Fedex will be on time.

My MBP17Unibody order shipment should have been at my doorstep last Monday, but something went wrong in China. Someone at Apple should have had the hindsight to make arrangements so that customers with delayed orders would be able to pick up packages on Saturday. I have a small business and I am likely to lose work because of the delay. Apple doesn't seem to care. I've been a loyal apple customer for 10 years. Things have really changed there. Now they call themselves geniuses and look down on their customers. But it's the users who create the genius. Apple seems to have adopted an arrogant corporate model that it didn't have before. Is Apple the new Dell?

This is Windows time to take advantage of Apples arrogance and knock 'em down. When windows comes up with an operating system that feels good to the creative market, then I might have to switch. Apple dumped me big time and I not going to run after her and beg her to take me back. See, I'm already having fantasies of switching to an Windows PC. Apple could woe me back, but at this point I just don't see how.

Broken-hearted but will survive,
ManuelAppleSeed

I am working on an XP Lenovo Laptop right row. It is a nice piece of hardware but I feel like Bill Gates is poking me in the eye every time I have to reboot to get an application to work.

I don't have a backlit keyboard, I don't have the only really effective trackpad that is available. Heck scrolling is such a PITA on every laptop I've ever used with the exception of the new generation of uni macbooks and pro's.

The other option is Linux or Solaris which are PITA's in other ways like installing software and steep learning curves.

Face it--Apple is the best--that is why we are waiting for the best laptop on the planet. So if you want to moan about it. We will all laugh at you. Go back to Windoze and reboot your machine ten times a day every time it gets confused.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.