Can we PLEASE address this "runaway backspace" bug?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Knowlege Bomb, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

This has got to be one of the most annoying and serious of the bugs in this firmware. I can handle the typing lag and whatever else they throw at me but come on, really? I try to go back a couple of words and end up losing a paragraph before the keyboard recognizes me beating on it. I actually yelled STOP!! at it and got some weird looks at work...

I really hope this can be put right with 2.1. I would love to see a list of the bugs Apple is planning to work on. I'm sure many would agree that this would make all of us feel a whole lot better about our buggy mess of a phone. (Dont crash on me, phone. Still love ya.)

2. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I've had this happen to me too. Doesn't happen when I'm emailing or texting, but does happen often when I'm using safari.

Every time I am making a post via the phone, if I screw up and decided I want to delete an entire sentence, I cross my fingers that it doesn't happen to me. One time I held the backspace key for a few seconds then let it go, and it just started deleted word after word until almost an entire paragraph got deleted. Very annoying.

3. philgilder macrumors 68000

put the phone in DFU mode and restore, this fixes keyboard lag for most people

4. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

any stats to back that up? I've restored, setup as a new phone, restored again...lag always finds its way back to me.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

To cause this bug you have to type a sentence, then hit the period, then instead of a space type a capitol letter, then press backspace. Everything you have just typed will begin to be deleted, until you hit the shift key.

6. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

I'm having the same problem. Quite a few times after pressing the backspace a few times in a row it keeps on deleting and has deleted entire sentences when I only wanted to delete a few characters. This happens in both email and safari. Very annoying!!

7. Knowlege Bomb thread starter macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

It is not system lag because the button responds immediately. What doesn't respond is the release of the button. Sticky key on a virtual keyboard = system lag? I highly doubt it.

Is this specific to the combination that was mentioned earlier? I get the feeling this happens more frequently than just after doing the period, cap letter combo...

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It might happen in other ways, the way I described earlier is just the only way that I know how to recreate the issue incase I want to show it to someone at an Apple retail store or something. There are probably other ways to trigger this bug.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Yep, I've experienced this so often that I don't quote posts on my iPhone if I intend to only quote a part of it. So far I've noticed that Safari on the iPhone doesn't play well with posting on forums.

10. freitas macrumors member

Just want to also report that I have also encountered the runaway backspace bug. And no ... this is not from repeated hitting of backspace associated with keyboard lag. I have lost whole sections of text from just hitting backspace ONCE. Come on folks, be civil. Ask questions before you assume that people reporting problems don't know what they are doing.

11. amro macrumors 6502

This happened to me a couple of days ago.

It's really not that hard to understand.

1. I was typing (no keyboard lag), and made a mistake
    2. I hit the backspace (once)
    3. The backspace ran amok
    4. I laughed
    5. Typed the sentence again (still no keyboard lag)
    6. Made the same mistake again
    7. Hit the backspace again (one time and one time only...got it?)
    8. The backspace ran amok again
    9. I laughed again
    10. Decided to type my sentence without making a mistake ;)

Cocao, does that help you to understand?

And still, this phone is better than dozens I've had before.

12. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

I've also experience the "runaway backspace" I had it even in the 1.+ firmware I agree this needs to be fixed it's a PITA when it happens.