Can we please stop thinking thinner?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mustangjac, Sep 26, 2014.

1. Mustangjac macrumors member

Mustangjac

I'm basing this just on my own preference, but I'd bet I'm far from alone. In my humble opinion, the iPhone 4 was thin enough. Upgrading from the 3GS, with the rounded back, we went to the 4 and got a slim, flat backed device that weighed enough to feel substantial in your hand and noticeable in your pocket, where I really didn't have that "Crap, did I forget my phone" moment while walking away from my desk.

I applaud them for finding ways to shrink the the existing components while adding new components, and managing to fit them in smaller and smaller spaces, AND still manage to reduce the weight.

Please stop. Well, more specifically, please stop making the over all device thinner and lighter.....I would gladly trade these "Features" for more battery. As the components get smaller, and opening up space in the case, I'd much rather they fill the void with battery mass and improve the overall battery life. I know the new battery is a bit larger than in the 5s, but wouldn't it have been better to the overall customer experience to increase the battery life even just a smidge more? Since the 4, I have yet to be impressed with the weight of the device. However, I'm always disappointed that the battery couldn't have been substantially improved.

I would happily....and enthusiastically trade in the lost bulk of the device with added battery mass. The lighter device doesn't feel as much like a quality device as it would with a little added weight. It feels......less substantial.

I hope comes across more as a "Wish List" item and less like a complaint. I'm very happy with my new phone and appreciate the engineering that's gone into designing and manufacturing the device. I'm just hoping they will focus on utilizing any saved space, and weight, for additional battery mass.

2. highlightshadow macrumors regular

Yep ... Kinda getting to the limits of optics anyway

Hence why we have our little lens bump .... would rather trade that 0.7-1mm thickness all over (with space used for battery or whatever) and have a flush design again ... or better yet go for a bigger sensor + OIS across the board.

3. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

And spend some time making them more durable.....Water proofing, shatter proofing etc. I would love to use my phone by the pool or at the beach.

4. Mustangjac thread starter macrumors member

Mustangjac

Agreed. Fill the void with something useful. My big wish just happens to be battery improvement.

----------

Exact-a-mondo! Void=Space to innovate

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think they should have made the iPhone 6/6+ thick enough to hold the cameras without them sticking out.

6. skiii024 macrumors member

skiii024

I the first year when i get a new iPhone is usually a very protective time...after that i go to the beach and pool with the phone all the time haha.

7. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I'm extremely happy with the thickness of the 6 and 6+.

4/4S was too bulky.

If you want more bulk and battery life, slap a Mophie on it. Those of us who like thin will be able to keep our phones thin and you'll get your bulk and battery.

8. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

It's not like it can't be done.... The Galaxy S5 might be ugly and runs Android but you can not say that it's fragile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9J611BuXhw

9. wildonrio macrumors 6502

Absolutely agree. Apple's obsession with thinness is approaching immature at this point. Would much prefer a slightly thicker phone with a 3 day battery life and a flush camera.

10. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

This is what Apples obsession with thinness reminds me of:

[​IMG]

Going too extreme in either direction isn't a good thing :(

11. tjl3 macrumors 6502a

The 4 was definitely not thin enough. And the 5 could have lost a bit off the top where the display was protruding from the case.

12. hippo206 macrumors 6502

I agree, I am happy with the decreasing thickness of the phones over the years. I'd prefer it continue in this direction until it is just a piece of glass (or at least the thickness of the ipod nano). I am also happy with the current battery life.

The camera isn't flush and... I can take it or leave it. It doesn't get caught in my pocket. I guess if i had a preference it would be flush, but not at the cost of the entire device becoming thicker.

If you would like more battery and don't mind the thickness, then the suggestion of a Mophie is a good solution for you. That would give you the ability to decide on the limit of thickness you can deal with.

13. Mustangjac thread starter macrumors member

Mustangjac

Sure. And that's what I've done on the 5 and the 5s. And functionally, it was better. I'm also not really saying I want them to go back to the thickness as before. Many, such as yourself, would find that a step backwards, while others would appreciate a little extra weight to make it feel more substantial.

I'm hoping, that having reached the Pinnacle of thin, that Apple will not strive to make future iterations any thinner. Just use any gained space for battery life, or further functionality. It's thin enough. Give us more, of what makes it great, in the space you've got.

14. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

Thinner with equal or better performance/specs wins me every time....:cool:

15. Mustangjac thread starter macrumors member

Mustangjac

It has, that's for sure. But is there REALLY anyone out there that would be disappointed in the iPhone 7 if Tim stood on stage saying, "Well folks, we didn't make it any thinner this time, it's still an AMAZING 6.0mm thick, but we did manage to give you another HALF DAY of stand by battery capacity this year!"

Would anyone truly be disappointed? Not counting those that look for something to be disappointed in.....

16. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I think the fact that they can do a bit of both. My 6 and 6+ blow my 5S out of the water battery life wise....and they're thinner.

But I hear ya. I think we'll get there at some point. I don't forsee us getting to something like a sharp slab of glass.

18. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

The nonsense of all this extreme obsession with thin products is that the Apple Watch seem to be bulkier than what it should be...

19. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

I don't think Apple has really shown their hand with the :apple:Watch yet....:cool:

----------

Well to me Apple seems like a company bent(no pun intended) on moving too
    or leading to the bloody edge.....And that is what I want from my personal
    technology.....so shoot me......