can we see the Mac Pro update at WWDC2007

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Amethyst, May 17, 2007.

1. Amethyst macrumors 6502

I want to buy my new mac pro . but i have somethings that make me wait for about 1 month (for WWDC 2007)

the first one is..

Mac Pro update at NAB2007 , that make mac fans upset , Only add" Ultra expensive BTO Option. doesn't change price .doesn't have new graphics card , I don't thaink that can count as "Mac Pro Update"

the second is..

Intel Anouncer for price-cuts their processor line-up at 22 July (after WWDC 1 week) . that make intel xeon line-up like this

[​IMG]

You can see the price of Intel Clovertown xeon at July 22 will be equal to Intel Woodcrest xeon now (in the yellow box 2 GHz and green box 2.66 GHz) and "the difference price" of clovertown 2.66 GHz and 3 GHz (the yellow border (1174-744)*2=856) is equal to the price for upgrade mac pro cpu 2.66 ghz to 3 ghz now that make apple can easily change their mac pro line-up to use 8-core processor.

[​IMG]

and the important thing .. the mac pro rival like dell precision doesn't wait mac pro ,their can price-cut immediately intel price-cut their processor. If apple want to be number 1 in "Workstation Price Wars" like now . their must to change ther mac pro line-up to all 8 core processor.

all two things make me believe "apple will be update mac pro at wwdc"

thank you

ps. sorry for my worst english

2. sdhollman macrumors regular

Lets hope so, and all 8 core line up would be sweet.

3. diehardmacfan macrumors regular

yeh i really want that

all 8 core lineup better graphic cards
    airport and bluetooth standar

and mabey just mabey if apple has the time, but add a ir reciever

4. Silentwave macrumors 68000

we very well could, since there will be a new server chipset release shortly beforehand :)

5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

While I've been saying for a while, since the july pricing came out, that an all 8 core line up is potentially feasable, I hope that it doesn't become the case. Alot of people really don't need the power of 8 cores, heck they don't want the power (and cost) of the current 4 cores. A lower price Mac Pro 4 core in addition would benefit many users far more. However Apple's price policy of making new revisions cost the same and offering whatever is worth the price point ($2499 for Mac Pros) coupled with what looks like not wanting to have any confusion on processors (waiting until there were 3Ghz quad chips available so they didn't have 8 core 2.66Ghz systems less powerful than 3Ghz quad on a number of tasks) back up the idea of an all 8 core range.

There is still also barely any news about the Stoakley workstation platform, and I would think Apple would prefer to combine newly priced processors, Stoakley and DX10 GPUs for a mac pro revision. I think those are really the main elements that need to be there. There are rumours a new workstaion platform won't now come until penryn however. Perhaps Apple will just do something with the pricing and add a high end DX10 card to tide over until penryn CPUs are available later in the year.

6. JayHM macrumors newbie

Well, you guys have me worried now, since I just received my new MP Quad, and am now debating whether or not I should actually open the box. Most of what I do involves rendering in multi-threaded apps, so I would definitely benefit from an affordable 8-core.

Couple of points, however. July 22nd is not "1 week" after WWDC (June 11). That's one-and-a-half months later. Also, I presume once the prices change, it would take a while for Apple to purchase the chips, implement them, and manufacture the new machines. Doesn't that indicate something more along the lines of a new Fall lineup instead?

7. dkoralek macrumors 6502

dkoralek

The other point is that you don't know what Apple negotiated the prices at and whether you will see a similar decline in prices that Apple is paying.

cheers.

8. Amethyst thread starter macrumors 6502

arrg... my bigger fault

9. chadi macrumors member

I'm surprised no one is hoping for Blue-Ray / HDDVD drives...

Am I the only one?? :D

10. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I am holding out for a all-8-core line up too.

The 3ghz is currently too rich for me, and a Mac Pro is seriously a "luxury item" since I don't need it, but with even "extreme" gaming PeeCees having quad core processors today I certainly don't see why I should buy a workstation that comes with only 4 processors.

With 8 it becomes easier to justify.

11. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

holy crap. I can't believe Apple charges $1,498 to go from 2.66 to Octo 3.0.

The dual 2.66 costs $715, the quad 3.0 is $1172 per proc.
    1172 - 715 = 457
    2 Processors, so times 2:
    457 * 2 = $914

Let's do a profit calculation:
    1498 - 914 = 583
    583 / 914 = 64% Markup

583 / 1498 = 39% Profit PLUS the normal profit on the mac pro.

Octo users are really getting the shaft. I'm guessing the profit margin goes up 30% on octos as opposed to 2.66.

I'll also point out that 8 core doesn't make much difference yet:
    http://barefeats.com/octopro1.html

See the benchmarking programs do OK:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

But, in the real world... :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you export 6 videos at once, you'll see something though!.. who really does that, though?:
    [​IMG]

Back to reality, MP aware gaming:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I found this summary said it best:

12. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Mind you, those release dates might not actually apply to Apple since Apple often get first access to new processors from Intel. The 3Ghz Quad core processor used in the 8 core Mac wasn't on Intel's official line up when it was released, in fact I don't think its officially available now yet either.

The problem with Blue-Ray/HD-DVD is that for them to be worth something, HDCP supporting graphics cards and displays are required. None of the current graphics cards used in Macs support HDCP (although that could easily be fixed with new graphics cards) and the Cinema Displays would need to be redesigned to support HDCP too. While I have no doubts as to whether this will happen or not, whether they make the changes in WWDC is yet to be seen. Blue-Ray/HD-DVD writers are so damned expensive right now, I don't think Apple will bother including them even as an option. However, I'm sure Mac HDCP graphics cards, cinema displays and Blu-Ray/HD-DVD drives (hopefully HD-DVD) will exist by the time Leopard comes out.

13. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I would like to see the memory speed brought up to 800 DDR3.
    I read reviews that say that the 8 cores are being bottlenecked by the memory bandwidth or speed.

14. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

You seem to forget that $1172 is the price the Xeon 5365 will have on July the 22nd.

We have no idea what price Apple is currently paying for them.

15. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

No, they are limited by the processor design. Currently one processor with 4 cores share 1 (one) Front Side Bus at 1.33Ghz. And the current quad-core is not a native quad-core processor but just two Core 2 Duo's stitched together in the same package.

It's a limitation of the current processor design because processors from Intel does not feature a built-in memory controller (as AMDs processors currently does).

16. Amethyst thread starter macrumors 6502

Possibility that Apple to be introducing "PRO Hardware" at WWDC much more than "Consumer Line Hardware" .Therefore I think one is MacBook Pro 100% . and the other is Mac Pro that I write this theads

17. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

I certainly hope they have a real update to the Mac Pro at WWDC. How about some up to date video card options?