Can we share OS X installer?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mabok, Aug 17, 2012.

1. mabok macrumors member

Hi,
    i'm using macbook pro comes with Lion pre-installed while my bro are using macbook pro & he upgraded Mountain Lion from Lion.

so the question,
    Does Apple approve sharing OS X installer?

and let's say after upgrading to Mountain Lion, i won't be able to reinstall back to Lion?

2. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

It's against the license agreement so you aren't technically supposed to do it, but nothing is stopping you from signing into his account.

If you want the opportunity to go back to Lion then create a Recovery USB using http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433

3. mabok thread starter macrumors member

that's what i thought,

while on windows *cough*, there's something called genuine serial number unique for each installer. but not in this case for mac os x.

but it seems like apple gives you the freedom to install the os x on more than one machine.

anyone care to comment? or have anyone of you admit that you shared os x installer with someone?

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

It's not "allowed" but noting will prevent you from doing it

5. mabok thread starter macrumors member

so it's ok to share os x installer?
    even with the thumbdrive os x installer apple release
    it doesn't make any different buying the thumdrive or sharing installer. the installer doesn't have any unique id/serial no./cd key/etc. correct me if i'm wrong.

anything to take any precaution if i decided to share installer? like going to apple service, or applecare void or anything...?

thanks.

6. stchman macrumors 6502a

I was under the impression that you could install OS X on up to 5 machines, but I also believe that the they would have to be on 5 of your machines.

7. thasan macrumors 6502a

i think it is legal as long they are on ur account...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4854?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

"If you've purchased OS X Lion or Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store, you're allowed to install it on all of your personal authorized Macs."