Can we stop with the netbook debate in every thread?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by slazareth, Oct 27, 2010.

1. slazareth macrumors regular

So we're all well aware that some people consider the new MBAs a netbook and some don't. We also all know the reasons some people consider it a netbook and some don't. There's no reason for us to get into it every time someone writes "netbook."

When you get down to it, even if someone says netbook, you know exactly what they are trying to say and the fact that they've called it a netbook is usually irrelevant to the point they were trying to make. So please, let's move on.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

A thread asking for the halting of posts that you don't care for? Classic.

3. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

So what do you think? Is it a netbook or not?

4. slazareth thread starter macrumors regular

Its not that I don't like it. Its that this subject has found its way into many threads thus derailing the thread. And people keep saying the same thing over and over. Its madness.

5. slazareth thread starter macrumors regular

I see what you did there. *sigh* trolls will be trolls. My personal take is that it doesn't matter. And if you think it does matter, that's fine. Just debate it in a thread that is about netbook vs ultra portable or whatever. For all I care make it this thread.

6. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

just ignore what you don't like to read. simple.

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Only when Apple admits ... OK it is the first $1000 netbook ... but it is an Apple so just get one.

8. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

When you agree that I'm right and its a netbook, I'll stop debating you.

Until then...thank you for making a thread debating the debating of debates regarding the netbook debate.

9. slazareth thread starter macrumors regular

You say that, but you have to read it for a second to realize it is something you don't want to read. And when its in so many threads, you end up doing a lot of reading where people debate something uselessly and no one changes their mind.

Apparently I'm alone on this and everyone else is fine with the ongoing debate in most threads. Carry on then.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

And this thread will magically stop the netbook discussion!

11. slazareth thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, but my plan is that it will magnetize much of the discussion. :D

12. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

<Seinfeld>What is it with Netbooks? Why do we insist on having small computers? I mean, you can check your email or you can pretend like you're actually productive on them. But they aren't actually useful!</Seinfeld>

Sent from my 12" iBook

13. Kenrik macrumors 6502

So NOT A NETBOOK... I have a mini 9 hackintosh... it's a completely different league.

Sent from my Macbook Air 11.6.

14. wkw macrumors 6502

wkw

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

if it walks like a netbook ... quacks like a netbook ... then it must be a netbook

16. Eclipse278 macrumors regular

That's why its clearly not a netbook :cool:

17. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

To me, a netbook requires three things:

1. Slower than ordinary CPU
    2. Small, compact size
    3. Small, compact keyboard.

(1) is arguable, (2) is satisfied, (3) is not.

Full-sized keyboard = not a netbook to me.

18. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand. Netbook = a notebook that uses the atom processor or something less.

19. bossxii macrumors 68000

Sony did that last year with the Vaio P! Oh wait.. that is a "Lifestyle PC" my bad.

20. bossxii macrumors 68000

So it's ok to cut all the function keys in half to make them fit? Still a (almost) full size keyboard? err... What did Jobs say... grab a sander and get to work on my fingers eh?

The 11" MBA is a high end netbook, just as the Sony Vaio P is/was. It doesn't really matter what it's called as long as it gets the job done that you need it to do.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I also don't understand why people care so much about what one may call it

22. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

i personally don't care, but just providing the definition of what a netbook is. i'd love to see someone argue against it too

23. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I can't really see that affecting typing much. Typewriters don't have function keys, after all.

I don't really care what anyone calls it. It's a subjective definition. To me, a netbook has a cramped keyboard. If someone showed me a 11.6" PC laptop with a full-size keyboard and an Atom processor, I wouldn't call it a netbook either. *shrug*

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

My definition is that a netbook is a very portable computer that is used more as a satellite device, which the 11.6 is imo

To my knowledge, there is not a commercial definition of what a netbook is and what it is not

25. bossxii macrumors 68000

Oh so now we are comparing it to a typewriter since the situation doesn't work against a typical computer keyboard? I see. Unfortunately I use F1 thru F11 on a daily basis for my work when navigating the software that runs our business. Not to mention that top row of keys is rather handy for a number of OSX features which I use daily outside of work.

But please continue to make excuses for the shortcomings of what was suppose to be a full size keyboard. :)