Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello, I looked at the terms and conditions. It looks like if we sell an iPad, we could transfer the ownership of AppleCare+ to that person. However, there is no mention about transferring AppleCare+ to another device owned by the same person. For example, buy AppleCare+ for an iPad PRO now and if an iPad PRO 2018 comes out later, get rid of the current iPad PRO but transfer AppleCare+ to the new iPad PRO 2018. Can this be done?

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Thanks. So, if I may switch device in June or September when the 2018 version comes out, I just don't buy Apple care+ this time? I have already bought a glass screen protector and a turtleskin protective case.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Yes, that makes sense. You’re going to be covered by the standard warranty, which will transfer to the new owner when you sell the machine. They can choose to purchase AppleCare if they want it, provided they do so before the one year standard warranty expires.

Edit: My AppleCare advice is incorrect. Tiggrtoo corrected me later in this thread.

Last edited:

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Thanks. In general, is it a good idea to buy Apple Care+ for iPad PRO 12.9" even I have a good glass screen protector and a very protective case?

For MBP, I always buy Apple Care and have benefited from it. I did not buy Apple Care+ for my iPhone due to the expensive cost and I already have a glass screen protector and a case for it already.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Yes, that makes sense. You’re going to be covered by the standard warranty, which will transfer to the new owner when you sell the machine. They can choose to purchase AppleCare if they want it, provided they do so before the one year standard warranty expires.

Incorrect. Apple still have a 60 day window from original purchase. Last November MR reported it had been extended to a year, then issued a correction to say it was back to 60 days.

https://www.apple.com/support/products/ipad.html

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
So, I should not buy Apple Care + now and wait until the 59th days to decide? Not sure if we will know anything about the iPad PRO 2016 by then.

Cobalt50

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
So, I should not buy Apple Care + now and wait until the 59th days to decide? Not sure if we will know anything about the iPad PRO 2016 by then.

If you are going to wait until the 59th day then I would be absolutely sure the you and Apple are using the same date of purchase.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
You are correct sir! i just bought a used iPad and I could not buy AppleCare for it because the orginal purchase date was too far past although it was within a year.

Sir?

upload_2018-3-12_6-57-59.png

:rolleyes:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thanks. In general, is it a good idea to buy Apple Care+ for iPad PRO 12.9" even I have a good glass screen protector and a very protective case?
Its a subjective decision, many people will say that extended warranties are a waste of money. Its just for accidental damage, it also adds a year for manufacturer defects. Whether you think its a good idea or not is personal decision.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I bought a MBP around 2007. It had that faulty Nvidia GPU. Around the 2.5th year, various components failed. Apple could not fixed it. After the 5th failed attempt, they decided to exchange a brand new MBP for me with slightly better specs. I have been using that MBP 2010 17" ever since then. So, for MBP, it is definitely worth it.

Do they exchange for a brand new iPhone/iPad PRO if they fail to fix the device several times? How many times is the threshold? For MBP, it seems to be five.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.