Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Is there a setting somewhere that allows us to do this? Or not....(yet)?

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
for clarity..
swiping is not required to unlock the phone.

if the phone is awake and it sees you, it will unlock..

swiping up will open the phone.

Reactions: TurboPGT!

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
What is with the obsession with this question? Just because it should be technically possible doesn't mean that it is a good user experience. When things are not a good user experience under any circumstance, there is no option to enable them, and they are certainly not the default.

rensi

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2017
What is with the obsession with this question? Just because it should be technically possible doesn't mean that it is a good user experience. When things are not a good user experience under any circumstance, there is no option to enable them, and they are certainly not the default.

I think there should still be an option. Do I like the way it is now, yes I do, but if others don’t and an option could be enabled then what harm does that cause. User experience is never the same for everyone.

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
I think there should still be an option. Do I like the way it is now, yes I do, but if others don’t and an option could be enabled then what harm does that cause. User experience is never the same for everyone.
Good and bad user experience is objective and can, and is, determined by developers. Different use cases sometimes exist, which is why there are defaults and sometimes options to change the default behavior to an alternate.

It is measurably and objectively a poor user experience to allow the phone to unlock and go straight to the Home Screen without a single deliberate gesture by the user.

In other iPhones, the deliberate gesture is Press Home to go Home (Touch ID unlocks at the same time). The alternative to that default, for the crybabies who couldn't get used to the new default, is Rest to Unlock and Go Home, which allows you to Go Home and Unlock without pressing the Home Button, merely resting on it (for Touch ID). But even this accommodation is a deliberate gesture, which is why it is allowed at all.

Allowing iPhone X to simply unlock AND go home without a single deliberate action is unacceptable, even as an alternate behavior. Forget the argument that "the lockscreen has value", which of course it does. But I don't need that to make this case. Without a deliberate gesture, it shouldn't be going home. Face ID is activated just by waking the phone, which can happen just by tapping the display or raising the phone (sometimes simply moving it is enough).

The swipe to go home is entirely appropriate and should not be circumvented as an option. I'm about 80% certain Apple will maintain this as is and not cave in here, because they will view it the same way I do.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

borgqueenx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
I think youre right about apple's way of thinking, wich hopefully makes us able to jailbreak to get it then. Still, i do agree with Rensi that it should still be a optional setting.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.
Good and bad user experience is objective and can, and is, determined by developers. Different use cases sometimes exist, which is why there are defaults and sometimes options to change the default behavior to an alternate.

It is measurably and objectively a poor user experience to allow the phone to unlock and go straight to the Home Screen without a single deliberate gesture by the user.

In other iPhones, the deliberate gesture is Press Home to go Home (Touch ID unlocks at the same time). The alternative to that default, for the crybabies who couldn't get used to the new default, is Rest to Unlock and Go Home, which allows you to Go Home and Unlock without pressing the Home Button, merely resting on it (for Touch ID). But even this accommodation is a deliberate gesture, which is why it is allowed at all.

Allowing iPhone X to simply unlock AND go home without a single deliberate action is unacceptable, even as an alternate behavior. Forget the argument that "the lockscreen has value", which of course it does. But I don't need that to make this case. Without a deliberate gesture, it shouldn't be going home. Face ID is activated just by waking the phone, which can happen just by tapping the display or raising the phone (sometimes simply moving it is enough).

The swipe to go home is entirely appropriate and should not be circumvented as an option. I'm about 80% certain Apple will maintain this as is and not cave in here, because they will view it the same way I do.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but if it is objectively a bad idea, why is that? You don’t actually explain why here.

blym

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017

Not true...

On an iPhone 6, press the button on the right side of the phone to wake it and then touch (don’t press) the home button to unlock with TouchID. Phone goes to home screen.

Do the same with the X to wake it but use FaceID to unlock. You then have to swipe to go home. It isn’t consistent and should be an option to go home on unlock.

Reactions: Summer Rain

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not true...

On an iPhone 6, press the button on the right side of the phone to wake it and then touch (don’t press) the home button to unlock with TouchID. Phone goes to home screen.

Do the same with the X to wake it but use FaceID to unlock. You then have to swipe to go home. It isn’t consistent and should be an option to go home on unlock.
That's due to the rest finger to unlock option which isn't enabled by default. Perhaps something similar will be added for Face ID.

Abraxastv

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2018
Gold Coast
I don’t require seeing notifications before unlocking my phone, I need the option to be able to unlock my iPhone X without having to swipe and also, why do you have minimize a page then again have to select it to close it, it should be simple just like on the iPhone 7 and 8, why make more clicks than necessary.

Reactions: Summer Rain
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.