Can we upgrade the 2.26 CPUs ourselves?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by RiffOfTheWeek, Mar 11, 2009.

1. RiffOfTheWeek macrumors newbie

Is it possible to, for example, get some 2.93 processors from a 3rd party and replace the 2.26 ourselves?

2. KelchM macrumors regular

yes.

3. IainH macrumors member

are you sure? apple tell me that the cpus are soldered on

4. idiotboy macrumors newbie

idiotboy

Could someone post some pictures of the processors?

5. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

That is good news, I asked the same question in a Thread a while back and somebody flamed me, so I didn't know the answer, and somebody else gave me a vague 'Yes' but was given no more info.
    And I couldn't find anymore info in search and google, when I tried.

6. nicolasmasset macrumors regular

I don't buy it either. The apple tech guys have always told me no. For the previous gen models that is.

7. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

There are a lot of things they can do to make upgrading difficult, but it's almost unfathomable that they would solder the chips on.

The FPGA type sockets aren't designed to have chips soldered on. Not to mention that it would be an expensive process to solder those processors when they aren't designed to be installed that way.

It's far more likely that they would do something devious such as using special screws to hold heat sinks on, making it very difficult to get enough clearance to remove the CPUs once the machine was put together, etc.

8. PowerPaw macrumors member

Have you seen the size of the Nehalem heatsinks? These CPUs get really hot, i would recon Any solder if anyone was daft enough to apply it would simply melt!

9. tdar macrumors 6502a

I find it hard to believe that Apple would have soldered in the processors. As you noted Xeons get hot. That leads to failures. If you ever have to buy one as a service part from any of the major computer makers, you'll understand why they are socketed. Replacement costs of thousands of dollars are not unheard of. How would you feel about having to throw away that working processor right next to the one you are replacing because your computer maker made the bad choice of soldering it in? ( plus the motherboard on PC's as the processors are on the board with everything else- not on a daughter board as in the Mac Pro)

In many years of working with Xeon systems, I have never found one to not use socketed processors. That's how Intel designs them and that's how system makers deploy them.

I don't believe that Apple has changed that.

10. Marcus Franke macrumors newbie

I also had the thought of changing the CPUs myself later. However, I heard that the Xeons do not have the usual price drop over time like "normal" CPUs have. At least not previous gen Xeons in Germany. Any contradicting experience?

M

11. 65StangBoy macrumors member

Just downloaded the service manual. The processors ARE NOT soldered to the board. Socketed just like every other Xeon out there.

12. rastersize macrumors member

No they don't drop in price very much at all. And one new processor usually costs about the same as a new Mac Pro... So you would probably be better of buying the Mac Pro now and then when you are thinking of upgrading buy the then new Mac Pro instead.

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I have no idea about the upgradability of the CPUs on the new MPs, but I do know Apple employees will never tell you anything other than the official Apple line. That, of course, is often based on marketing preservation and legal suit avoidance, not truth. For example, to this day, Apple will tell you there is NO way to move songs on an iPod to a computer, i.e., apps like SENUTI do not exist.

14. benbraco macrumors newbie

I'm not an expert in computer engeeniring and maybe my question is idiot but
    do you think it will be possible to upgrade gainestown mac pro cup with westmere cpu (probably a 2010 release)? I know that westmere is a 6core cpu with integrate gpu. Is that right? If the upgrade is possible it will improve the value of 2009 macpro.

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes.

They're not even being sold yet.

Impossible.

16. rylin macrumors 6502

Gulftown/Westmere is supposed to be pin compatible, though Apple would most likely have to push a firmware update for it to actually be supported.

In other words, it's not so much a question of what the x58 chipset can do or the pin count as it is what Apple will let you do with Steve's computer ;)

17. fabriciom macrumors 6502

I doubt intel will use the same board architecture. They would make more money if they forced you to use a new mb. Since there is no current competition from AMD, intel can do what ever the hell they feel like.

18. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

They can but they won't. The next generation of processors will work in existing boards. There will still be new boards to support things like USB 3, SATA 6GB/s, faster memory etc.

19. Outsider macrumors regular

Outsider

Yep, new boards will differentiate from the old ones with the above mentioned features, plus some others like Firewire 3200, that new turbo memory technology for the next gen Intel chips, etc.

But don't discount being able to upgrade to a Gulfton class processor. Remember when the first Quad Core Xeons came out and Anand put them in the first gen Mac pros and found they worked flawlessly? I don't see why the 6 core (Septu-Core?) would not follow suit. Also, Apple put over the top cooling in all their pro desktops. The heat-sink for the 2.26 is the same for the 2.93 even though the 2.93 is obviously a hotter processor. I wouldn't be surprised if the 3.33 Xeons would have no issue being cooled with that heat-sink either.

20. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

Yes, but you likely won't save money until after 3 years and would have been better off getting the 2.93 to begin with.

21. kman79 macrumors regular

The new Xeons are supposed to be released at the end of the month, so you'll get a better idea on pricing and DIY upgrade then...was thinking of doing the same thing myself.

22. giubeppe macrumors newbie

QPI Speed?

What about QPI speed? It seems like the 2.26 speed is different from the one in the 2.66 and 2.99? Is that motherboard or cpu driven?

23. macman21 macrumors newbie

According to this wikipedia page, the QPI speed for quad MPs is 4.8 GT/s. And for octad MPs it is 6.4 GT/s.

24. giubeppe macrumors newbie

I read that... but I also noticed in the geekbench scores:

2.92 has 6.40 GT/s Bus
    2.26 has 5.87 GT/s Bus

and if you go to this other link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeon it specifies the 2.26 has 5.87 GT/s bus.

25. MCHR macrumors regular

That's kind of my take on upgrades too. Either pay for it now (2.93), or pay for it later (2.26 + cost of 2.93)

Seems you'd likely pay the same either way, but would have a warranty for the one sold with the faster chip, unless the cost of the chip went down a lot.