Can we upgrade to a 16gb chip??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johnnybn, Sep 10, 2007.

1. johnnybn macrumors newbie

Assuming you could get a 16gb card with the same specs as our 8gb cards (eg iPod Touch), how hard would it be to crack it open and swap?

2. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

I dont think it would be that simple.
    Give it a try and let us know :D

3. iPhoneHome macrumors 6502

Good question...i have no idea tho. I think somebody is going to have to rip the iPod open to find out. Plus, where would we be able to buy them? Second, if it was nothing more than a simple plug and play insert, im pretty sure some tech-genius would have already tinkered with this and input his own chip.

4. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

If you are a soldering god go right ahead, otherwise probably not, as in no.

5. johnnybn thread starter macrumors newbie

By no means am I a soldering expert or would I ever attempt to do this myself, but I've seen pics of the inside and it didn't appeared soldered in. Just looks plugged into a socket. If we could get them, some enterprising person who knows what they're doing should take this on and run a sm. biz.

6. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Interesting. Could you link to those pics? Also something to note. We don't even know if the iPhone would recognize more than 8GB of available memory. Although there probably isn't any reason to doubt it would, I am just saying.

7. sJv macrumors regular

The pictures I saw show the Samsung NAND flash chip to be a BGA package (Ball Grid Array). You need special BGA rework equipment to remove and replace a chip, which very few people have access to. Also, who's to say that the current iPhone design would even support a 16GB part.

R/Ring a soldered in Flash chip will never be a do it yourself project, even for Geohot... :)

-steve

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Could be easy, could be

Attached Files:

9. attadj macrumors member

Just like with the Nano someone will figure out how to do it and if you can trust them will setup a site and charge to do it. The best bet will be to send your phone to that person and pay his fee to make the swap. If you want to gamble on this I'm sure it will happen eventually. The nano chip flash upgrade was very profitable for one guy who offered the service. On the nano there was a spot on the board where you could put a 2nd chip in it but I think the guy just found a bigger chip and removed the old one.

10. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

This is an interesting topic and it brought up an idea in my head. If Apple releases a 16GB iPhone and upgrading is possible, Apple could offer a storage update for a fee. I don't know what they would charge, but it could be somewhere around the price difference between an 8GB and 16GB. If there were an option like this, I think quite a few iPhone owners would take advantage of it and Apple would once again make more money off us.

11. ~J~ macrumors 6502

I would do it.

12. Tom Sawyer macrumors 6502a

Tom Sawyer

So what happened to THAT iPhone?!??! :eek: