can we use iSight on MacMessenger?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Twe Foju, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

hm, ive been wondering, i have ms mac messenger

but i never find any webcam button like in the windows MSN messenger

can we actually use isight on messenger?

2. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Not that I know of. I believe its an ichat only feature, at this present time. Then again I don't use MSN Messenger, I use Adium.

3. Twe Foju thread starter macrumors 6502

Twe Foju

so we should get an external webcam to be able to use th webcam on the messenger? that is quite suck

and speaking of which, does mac messenger even have the web cam function? because even if we have an external webcam, i doubt we can use it on mac messenger either

4. 6mt15 macrumors member

Messenger: Mac does not have any webcam support at all. You can use your iSight with Adium, aMSN, or LiveMessenger through Bootcamp. Rumor is that only one more release of Messenger: Mac will be released before it is discontinued, and this will include webcam support. That rumor has been floating around for much more than a year now though, so I'm not holding my breath.

5. etorres macrumors member

mac messenger in its current form does not support the isight camera (or any webcam). I read that the macbu team (the mac division in microsoft) is well on its way to developing the next version of mac messenger which will have feature parity with the windows version. They pretty much had to dedicate most of their resources to finishing up Office 2008 on time, so mac messenger was relegated to the backburner. With office 2008 finished and shipped I believe that they will dedicate more resources to finish work on the next mac messenger.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

7. etorres macrumors member

messenger is an important part of the windows live model that microsoft is building up so discontinuing mac messenger and ignoring a growing sector of mac users doesnt make much business sense at all.

Microsoft gets a decent amount of revenue from windows live, be it from adds or other sources. With almost 8% of the total market and growing, mac users are becoming (or should become) a more important part of that business model.

8. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

yeah, didn't they just release Mac Office 2008 ? I don't think they are giving up on Apple, not yet atleast. Apple still has a lot of ideas to feed off of.. tee-hee

9. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Please tell me again, how are the number of MSN users going to add to Microsoft's bottom line?

10. etorres macrumors member

msn messenger is actually directly and indirectly profitable for microsoft.
    One way microsoft microsoft makes some profit is selling add space on its windows live messenger. In a pc next time you use the latest version of windows live messenger notice in the corners those little adds? microsoft actually charges for them. msn messenger also acts as a kind of "portal" for their other "live" services, for which they might charge a fee or ather "free" services, such as user accounts, profiles and such, for which they also charge fees for adds. On top of that it sells the microsoft brand name exclusively, which is part of the reason they have so far refused to make it interoperable with many other chat clients (with the exception of yahoo messenger).
    You might not think about it in that way, but with the millions, upon millions of people who use msn messenger for personal or business activities, it represents a very lucrative part of the microsoft business model. Do you actually believe microsoft would spend so much time, effort and resources in msn messenger if it didnt bring them a profit in some way, even indirectly?

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The free version (ie. If you don't have Office) of Messenger for Mac has ads too. Or at least it used to.

12. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

As has been said, the iSight not working with MSN Messenger is not Apple's fault, it's Microsoft that hasn't added webcam support in all the years of Messenger for Mac. It's not hard to support it, they just wont.

If your looking to continue using a webcam on OS X, look into iChat/AIM compatibility, Skype and Mercury Messenger (however this doesn't let you use audio).

I never realised the version included with Office was different to the free version. I suppose it makes a little sense.

13. terryblyth macrumors regular

aMSN works fine with my iSight on my Macbook - no Bootcamp or anything else needed.

14. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

Please can you post how you got it working? Everyone else says MSN on Mac doesn't support webcams, and I'd be interested in your workaround.

Thanks

15. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Mark he said AMSN not MSN. As everyone else has said MSN does not have support for webcam as of yet.

16. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

Ahh... I did wonder, but decided it had been a typo because the a is next to the caps lock! I'd not heard of it before, but I've found it on MacUpdate, so thanks very much for the steer.

Cheers :)

17. Wireless Buddy macrumors regular

Eww, MSN Messenger

I hate MSN Messenger. The program is decent (except for no AV support). It's the service. I constantly have delayed messages and then messages come all at once. It's very annoying. This is both for me and the other party.

I use AIM with iChat. Works better.

18. M!K macrumors regular

M!K

Even if you have an extewrnal webcam, it won't work on messenger:mac. It doesn't have the function yet. But apparently, as we can read at many places online, Microsoft is working on messenger:mac 7 and it will have the video and voice chat functions. However, no release date has been announced and it seems like they've been working on it for quite some time!!!

I'm sooo tired of waiting! I really need the webcam on MSN!

19. terryblyth macrumors regular

This wouldn't have been the case, because I don't make typos. [/joke]

aMSN has its own share of problems, but if AV support is important to you, it's worth a look.