Can we use new LED Cinema Display with our Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Amethyst, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Amethyst macrumors 6502

On Spec in support only MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro systems with Mini DisplayPort

can we use it with our mac pro

2. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

No.....

Unless someone makes a gfx card with a mini DP Female!

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

I'd think an adapter is necessary. Unless Apple wants to lose sales to previous customers. ;)

4. grue macrumors 65816

The question is… why would you want to?

What the hell were they thinking with the glossy trash?

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

If it reviews well, and offers a lot of value for the money, the glossy screen can be covered with a matte screen cover. ;)

Otherwise, I'd say wait for other models (pro level), or take matters into your own hands, and get something else. :eek: :p

There's always the NEC LCD2490WUXI or the HP LP2480ZX among others. Definitely not cheap though. :(

6. alam macrumors regular

alam

well don't be surprised, maybe apple wan't to ditch there old customers :eek: i mean we saw what did happen to the mac mini, it's written in the requirement page (mac pro cannot work with the new monitor)

it also makes no sense why apple making the display work the macbooks only and not the desktops, apple is trying to say notebooks have more priority than desktops, i mean who need a camera or a microphone and speakers if there where already built in the laptops.

some mac pro users are desperately in need for these new features built in there monitors :confused:, instead of having wires coming out of the back side of the screen :(

well your wrong some people like me love that glossy screen, if they where not important why would they make it? :confused:, and the mic and camera and the speakers are built in, that was my monitor dream for my mac pro, these features are very hardly to find it all built in 1 monitor :mad:

it's really unfair from apple care about the customers for the notebooks which they have screens instead of the ones who are not such as us the mac pro users :mad:

7. brand macrumors 601

brand

Could you dry any more?

8. mcvaughan macrumors 6502

Yes, there is an adapter.

Does no one read the other messages in this forum? This is the 3rd thread on this. :rolleyes:

9. ampd macrumors regular

ampd

you sure that the adapter is a DVI to DisplayPort (Female). I sure as hell haven't seen one...

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

11. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

I haven't been able to find any displayport adaptors that have a female displayport end, and since the cable is tethered to the screen and doesn't remove this is the only option. 3rd party mac accessory makers are probably already working on an adaptor.

All I could find was a supplier in china that sells displayport female-female adaptors, one of those, coupled with a displayport male-dvi adaptor should work.

Here's the supplier page:
    http://celink.manufacturer.globalso...DMI-cable/1007494837/DisplayPort-Adapters.htm

Here's an adaptor:
    http://www.google.com/product_url?q...zSTWRSuH7CeFrAAAAAAAAAAA&gl=us&hl=en&sa=title

EDIT- NEVERMIND Apple uses mini-display port, not displayport, which is soon to be the new standard format but of course apple had to go and make there own proprietary version.

12. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

apple has a $99 adapter. or wait for a new video card to come out. personally, i'm waiting for a new graphics card for my mac pro. i have a 23" cinema display that i plan to keep for a few more years.