Can Windows 10 really run all the Windows XP sotware?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by hajime, Jan 19, 2016.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, we know that Windows 7 has XP mode for compatibility. I read from another forum that although Windows 10 has no XP mode, it can run all the software designed for XP. Is this really true?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Windows generally offers great backwards compatibility. With features like compatibility mode, Windows 10 will run most programs that ran under Windows 8.1 and prior versions.

3. Eltina macrumors newbie

Eltina

Compatibility mode does not always work and no one is 100% that all the software designed for XP run well on Windows 10. But it is still worth a try as it works great for many people, including me.

4. Demigod Mac macrumors 6502a

There's no roadblock that utterly forbids an XP-era application from attempting to run on 10. Most should work fine. Some poorly coded applications might not run properly or not at all, however.

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

As far as I recall, some applications did not work under Windows 8. What makes Windows 10 more compatible with applications that work under XP and XP mode?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think Windows 10 is more backward compatible to XP apps and as time goes on, I expect that compatibility to decrease. Its in MS' best interest to remove old code, and old APIs that don't serve any purpose moving forward.

7. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

No, not true.
    They need to bring back XP mode.

8. comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Although that is a good thought, you have to realize the facts.

-Its not in microsofts interest for you to run outdated software. They want to push the future and new software for more precious dollars in their pockets.
    -As well as software back then as many have already pointed out was coded for XP and not for todays software so usally its a hit or miss whether it works in 7,8.1,10. If the software title is popular im sure you can find fixes. believe it or not, i Enjoy playing an old game title that was made for 98/2000 and there was a fix made for windows 7,8.1, and 10. "titanic adventure out of time"

Granted there are still many alternatives. If you have a half decent machine,any i3 i5 or comparable Phenom of FX 6XXX CPU im sure you can run a VM of XP with 2 cores and say 2GB ram. Hell i ran a XP VM on my old macbook 3,1 with a Core 2 Duo 7400 and using a gig in XP. Sadly this is the way technology is going and we cant do much to slow it down. I am still amazed how well 8.1 / 10 runs on older machines even. I have a windows 10 install running on an old Single Core P4 LGA with 2GB of ram. Dang thing flies! Best of luck

9. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I was mainly just talking about in the context of the OP's question whether Windows 10 eliminated the need for XP Mode.
    I'm really not that effected -- I just run virtual XP/7/and 10 off of my MacBook Air.
    I need both XP and 7 for work and my companies solution was to give me two different PC laptops.
    I said the heck with that and bought a cheap used Air and leave their laptops in my desk.
    :p