Can Windows 7 be used for BootCamp if it was installed using VMWare's Fusion?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by itsme0209, Feb 15, 2010.

1. itsme0209 macrumors newbie

hi. I installed Windows 7 through VMWare Fusion's easy setup. Can I use this existing Windows installation to make a BootCamp partition? I know Windows can be used vice versa (BootCamp first, then VMWare), but I already installed Windows 7 with VMware first.

Also, can I use the same installation of Windows for Parallel Desktop 5?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No

You will have to make an installation for Bootcamp separately
    Then your Bootcamp partition can be accessed by Fusion

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. itsme0209 thread starter macrumors newbie

How about for using Parallels desktop? Same situation?

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Parallels can access a Bootcamp partition once it is installed or you can install it separately in Parallels, but Parallels cannot access the Windows installation within Fusion

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Installing through VMWare Fusion means you installed it onto a virtual disk, not an actual partition. Same goes for Parallels or VirtualBox. You can only do the other way if you want Boot Camp and Fusion/Parallels access.

6. itsme0209 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow. That kinda sucks. I no longer have the windows installation disc. Ok, thank you both for your help!

7. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

In the PC world is has been done and VMware offers some suggestions. Such a project is not for the faint of heart. It can be very complex and I'm not sure any of the utilities referenced will work with the Mac's EFI-based system.

As always, make sure you have a complete system backup before attempting anything that could wipe out your working OS X partition.

http://www.vmware.com/support/v2p/

Cheers,

8. itsme0209 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks panzer. Looks a little involved, but its nice to know there actually is a way to accomplish this. :D