Can windows be installed on apple tv

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Cabbit, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

hi all i was thinking of buying the low end apple tv for a actinic store termanal with windows 2000. The computer will be running ether remote desktop to my mac or on ocation with its own keyboard and mouse with a small hdmi screen. I understand all the parts are pritty standard the only problem i can see is with the apple tv bios.

2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Have you considered getting a 2nd hand Intel Mac Mini and using a DVI->HDMI cable? You'd get more bang for your buck. You'd probably be better using XP rather than 2000 as well.

3. Cabbit thread starter macrumors 68020

Cabbit

Windows XP is not an option is not as stable as 2000. I already have a mac mini its over kill and uses a lot of power compared to an apple tv. Please dont recormend something that i didn't ask about its like offering a iMac to a gamer over a Macpro a gamer isnt going to get very far with a X1600. The question is can Windows 2000 be installed on a appletv, the computer dosnt need a cd rom drive, nor more than 64 MB of ram, the hard drive will be replaced with a 16 GB solid state hard drive i understand it uses a low clocked Pentium M witch is more than fast enough and it also provides 256MB RAM and the onboard Geforce 7400 is overkill but welcome edition to the box. its the perfic size to hide away and low power enough to run on a UPS for quite a wile if there is a powercut.

Oh i would use would perhaps use Vista home basic on if i upgraded form Actinic 7 to 8 but only if that is required.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It doesn't look like anyone has done it and posted about it, but if you're really adventurous, you might try this:

- Installing (full) OS X is known to work:

http://www.appletvhacks.net/2007/04/01/mac-os-x-running-on-apple-tv/

- So what if you install OS X off available discs and then try installing Windows as if you were putting Windows on any other OS X / Intel Mac?

If it works, it would totally be worth blogging about.

5. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

prove it

7. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Sorry. I meant I installed Windows Vista on my iPhone. My bad.

8. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

Mhm. If you're not joking, you're lying...good luck porting Vista to ARM :p

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oh hahaha. how on earth did u do that????? pm me some piccies *mouth drools*

10. valiar macrumors regular

He is probably talking about this:

http://tutubibi.net/zez/iphonewindows/index.html

You can do this too - it is a well-known hack!
    All the most important features of Windows are present and working as intended. Check it out.

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ooohhhh now i get it..... that makes sense, i thout u actually ment that. hmph :rolleyes:

12. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

Jeez it was only a suggestion. Mostly because I think you're going to struggle for drivers, and using 2000 rather than XP would (I think) only make it more difficult.