MP 7,1 Can Windows Bootcamp use a Nvidia RTX?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Macintosh IIcx, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Macintosh IIcx macrumors 6502

Macintosh IIcx

Ok, a bit of a specialized question, but here goes:

I’m fully aware that the Nvidia RTX series are not supported in any way on the macOS. But let’s say you need to do some work in Windows via Bootcamp. Is it possible to plug the RTX 2080 card in a secondary PCIe slot and install the Windows Nvidia drivers to make it work?

We are assuming that we boot with a macOS supported card like a AMD. So the Nvidia card is the secondary card in the Mac Pro.

So the question is more whether booting macOS is going to freak out about the presence of an unsupported PCIe card and whether it will be recognized and work in the Windows environment with the proper windows drivers?

2. orph, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019

orph macrumors 68000

orph

windows will be able to use it, when you boot windows your macpro is just a computer with windows on.

i have no idea what will happen in osx

asume your only problem will be what the second card is and if it needs power how to power it, i think the RTX 2080 uses more than 1 8-pin?

edit RTX 2080 uses 8+6pin so power may be a problem ?
    https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/rtx-2080/

edit 2 i did not read the topic, my answer was for a mac pro 5.1 not the new ones

3. h9826790, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019

h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

Can

But in Windows, you should manually disable the AMD card to avoid driver issue.

In macOS, the driverless Nvidia card is pretty much ignored by the system.

However, without proper drive, the card may not able to get into low power mode properly. Even though nothing to do, it may still consume quite a bit of power, and the GPU may stay warm.

4. Macintosh IIcx thread starter macrumors 6502

Macintosh IIcx

Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes, I’m not sure whether the Mac Pro 2019 will support 8+6 pin, not totally clear to me yet.

I guess this could turn out to be a small project on the side if I get the Mac Pro 2019. I’m only asking because I already have the card, but maybe it is better to sell it and put the money towards a more native solution.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 19, 2019 ---
    Excellent info, thanks!

5. orph macrumors 68000

orph

ah sorry i did not look, i assume the mac pro 7.1 will be able to power it.

sorry i was thinking of the 5.1 which has much less power options, i relay need to read the titles better on posts my bad.

edit
    one option is to put the card in a eGPU box so it's only pluged in when needed?

6. Spacedust macrumors 6502a

Does sleep mode work with RTX when Windows is installed in UEFI mode? Normal unflashed cards have no sleep which is very annoying.