Can Windows on Mac conflict with a router but not OS X on the same MacBook?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Xystence, May 17, 2012.

1. Xystence, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 18, 2012

Xystence macrumors regular

When I use my MacBook Pro from 2010 on Mac OS X Lion, everything works perfectly. No issues at all. However when I am using Windows 7 I constantly (Every 15 minutes to an hour) lose my internet connection. The connection on the Modem/Router never went away, in fact it even shows my computer is connected, but I get the little yellow ! on the connection icon near the clock.

This happens with both wired and wifi so I am having a horrible time figuring it out. I have updated the drivers on both network cards, no fix there. Does anyone have any advice? It becomes insanely annoying when playing games online. I have to unplug the wire and plug it back in. Everything works fine on OS X, this only happens in windows. So this just tells me its not the computer or even the modem/router, its something in windows somewhere I think.

Can Windows on Mac conflict but not OS X?

Advice please!!

Thank you in advance!

2. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

I've seen the opposite be true, where windows works but osx doesn't, so it seems pretty likely that your situation could happen as well. It's pretty rare though I would think.

Are you using the latest bootcamp drivers (instead of manufacturer drivers)? Fresh win7 install? May also want to check router firmware.

3. MadTester macrumors regular

MadTester

I'm not sure how bootcamp uses the WIFI resource on a mac. I run W7 through VMware, so I have the option of either bridging, sharing (NAT) or generating a mac address for either ethernet or WIFI.

I think you may need to concentrate more on your W7 network address settings. Try dropping a static ip in the router table first (for your wifi) when you are running windows. If the same problem persists, then have a look at how bootcamp shares the resource between OSX and Windows 7. I noticed you mentioned both network cards?

You only have one network card (hardware) on the MBP. You might try and generate a new virtual mac address for your windows install which might prevent confusion if your running DHCP.

HTH..... :confused: