can windows see a hdd formated in "os x extended (journaled)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BeyondMountains, Nov 29, 2008.

1. BeyondMountains macrumors 6502

I formatted my external hdd (my book) in the "os x extended (journaled)" format and now i cant get my pc machine to recognize it.

after reformatting i reinstalled all files that came with the drive

disk utility sees it as a usb mass storage
    but the drive doesnt show in my computer

os x sees it fine. but i need both

any help?

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

You need the application MacDrive (google it) for windows, it allows windows to interact with the OS X extended format, although, for an easier route, just format the drive (on your mac) as FAT32, it'll mean you'll be limited to file sizes below 4GB (archaic windows technology for you...), but it will mean you can use your drive on your pc, your mac, and anyone elses pc, with no hassle.

3. BeyondMountains thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks
    looks like i need macdrive for i need more than a 4gb limit

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Ok fair enough, but just so you know, if you install MacDrive on your PC, that means that drive will then work on your PC, if you take the drive over to your friends, and us his/her PC, if they don't have MacDrive, it won't be recognised. Just to let you know.

5. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I wouldn't recommend FAT32, go the MacDrive route. FAT32 sucks at indexing (spotlight, you have to force it, but even then it's pretty slow and crappy) and as mentioned the 4GB limit. And it's old, and meta data sucks on it.

Leave it HFS+ (as you have it) and use MacDrive

6. powerhouse7 macrumors regular

If you don't want to install extra things all the time, i've found the simplest option is just to partition your external hard drive.

I have a 1 TB hard drive that I have partitioned in two: One partition is 750 GB for Time Machine and Mac related storage (formatted in OSX Extended Journaled), and the other partition is 250 GB formatted in NTFS to allow both Mac and Windows to read and write to it.

7. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead