Can Windows use Apple wallpapers in advertising their PC's?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ::Lisa::, Dec 23, 2007.

1. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

Q as above. Basically my friend just got herself a new PC today and she linked me to it: link (link maynot work due to session ID's etc) Anyway, I thought the wallpaper looked familiar and Apple-like so I looked in my Apple wallpaper folder and there it is EXACT same one. It's a Panther wallpaper used on a Toshiba PC with Vista.

I took a screen capture, shown below.
    [​IMG]

Can they do that? :confused: and if they can, I personally find it mis-leading unless it's actually on that PC as a wallpaper option.

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

"Windows" isn't doing that. Microsoft doesn't even sell PCs. This is entirely the decision of the PC World advertising department.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They always use Apple Wallpapers to advertise PC's as the ad departments all use Macs.

4. Cloudane macrumors 65816

Cloudane

PC World also sell Macs, although it seems odd that Apple would let them use the pics for advertising PCs *shrug*

Must be some copyright thing going on.

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I saw a Mac OS X screenshot on a PC laptop in an airport once. The ad which was on the wall had a laptop and it had 10.4 running on it. :rolleyes:

6. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

PC World, Currys, Comet (I think) and various other retailers use the os x wallpaper on their images of pc laptops. Can't imagine for the life of me why, but it amuses me to no end.