Can Windows Vista x64 run on an iMac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Icaras, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I know this question must have been answered before, but I'm a little lazy and don't want to search the forums tonight.

Anyway, I understand that Vista x64 is supported for current Mac Pros and MBPs, but is it also supported for the iMac? If its not, does anyone think that Apple will provide support in the next anticipated update? :confused:

2. Icaras thread starter macrumors 603

Icaras

lol, i searched and researched anyway. So I guess since the imac already houses a 64 bit intel core 2 processor, it fits the bill for a x64 vista compatibility, right? Just wanted to clarify this with the gurus of this forum... ;)

3. Icaras thread starter macrumors 603

Icaras

Anyone?

I am actually looking through the boot camp installation & Setup guide and on page 4 it says:

"If you have a Mac Pro or a Macbook Pro introduced in early 2008 or later, you can use a 64-bit version of Windows Vista."

So i guess this means it excludes iMacs? If this is true, hopefully Apple includes 64 bit Windows support on new Penryn imacs this summer:(

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

As far as I know, its limited to MacBook Pro and Mac Pro....but I'm not super up to date on boot camp, since I have no need for it.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

From another thread:

Maybe next time you shouldn't be so lazy and do your own search. :rolleyes:

6. Icaras thread starter macrumors 603

Icaras

Thanks for the paste. Trust me, I have been trying to search out this topic for a while now. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough but I could barely find any search results with imac 64 bit windows.

Anyway...damn, what are the chances of Apple support vista 64 bit on imac? I just hope they don't isolate windows 64 bit support on only the "pro" line. I mean, with all these new chips coming out, even the imacs and macbooks should eventually be powerful enough to run windows 64 bit.

Well, here's hoping :eek:

7. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Yeah I'm confused about this too. Boot Camp installation says v.2.0.0. Not sure if this is the latest or not.

8. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Even is Apple have no 64bit drivers you should still be able to install it, and then maybe find some drivers off the original manufacturer (ie. ATI for the graphics card).

9. tb30033 macrumors newbie