Can Wireless Icon Be Replaced Or Tweaked When Internet Connects?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Oka, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Oka macrumors member

I just have to ask this question since one could be screwed (deceived) by technology.

Looking at the image, it clearly shows:
    - Solid dots signifies the "strength" of my connection to my home WiFi network system.
    - "GCI" means my internet provider.
    - The wireless icon (looks like a fan) tells me I am connected to the WiFi which does not really
    tell me I am connected to the internet.

The situation was, today, I realized I have reached my montly data quota by me ISP.
    Everytime I leave home, the wireless icon switches to "LTE" which tells me I am not using
    my paid cellular data. As soon as I get back home, the icon switches back to the wireless
    icon (like a fan) which shows I am back to my home wireless network and not the internet,
    in which case, I was using up my celluar data instead of my internet data (which I don't have
    a limit). The cellular data gets penalized with $15 per 1GB that is added to your bill.

On, on this note. Since the wireless icon does not really say if I am back on the internet,
    would be a way, a setting, an app, or differnet icon I can just look at so I can be sure I am
    connected to the internet (and not just the wireless network). The only way to find out would
    be to log into the router app, to check if my phone is using the home internet data than the
    cellular data; which will be very tideous.

Hope I am clear enough. If you need more clarification, please let me know.
    Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Firstly the dots tell you the strength of your mobile signal even when connected to WIFI. The WIFI fan will then show filled in sections depending on strength.

Rest of the stuff you may want to check if Wifi Assist is turned on.

3. Superrjamz54 macrumors 6502

Superrjamz54

LTE data is the same thing as cellular data. Every time you connect to the internet not using wifi you are using cellular data. There in fact is no such thing as internet data. It's either cellular or wifi

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Pay heed to this.

If you are connected to a wifi and you're not on the internet it would be because the wifi itself isn't on the internet. Turn Wifi Assist "OFF" if you don't want to risk using cellular data when your device's wifi signal is weak.

5. Oka, Feb 15, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2017

Oka thread starter macrumors member

I had mentioned "montly data quota" which I assume is also the "internet data".

6. chrfr macrumors 603

The presence of the wifi icon in the status bar is all you need to know; if your phone is connected to wifi, it will always use the wifi connection instead of your cellular LTE connection. If you don't want the phone to use your home wifi connection, you either need to switch off wifi, or go into the wifi settings and have the phone "forget" your wifi network.
    Your home wireless connection is an internet connection too, just as LTE is.

7. Oka thread starter macrumors member

bransoj and BrianBaughn thank you for the info on WiFi Assist.
    I YouTubed and believe it is the culprit. Mine is 'On'. Got it turned off.

Well appreciated!

8. chrfr macrumors 603

Is it your home data account that's over quota, or is it the cell phone's account that went over? This isn't clear from your messages.