Can You Access BIOS Menu In Windows 7 On A Mac?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by OS X Dude, Jan 22, 2012.

1. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

Is it possible to access the BIOS menu on the Windows 7 partition of a Mac? Obviously, we don't have a 'true' Delete key, and I've tried F2 (or increase brightness, as it is) to no avail.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

BIOS is not part of Windows or any other OS. It's basically a firmware and it's loaded before the OS. Macs use EFI instead of BIOS so no, you cannot access BIOS on a Mac.

3. OS X Dude thread starter macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

Thanks for clearing that up :) Knew Macs used EFI but I thought they were OS-specific.

So, how do you boot from a CD/DVD under Windows 7 on a Mac?

4. simsaladimbamba

If the CD/DVD is bootable, hold down the OPTION key right after the startup sound chimes and then select the CD/DVD and press ENTER.
    OR
    If the CD/DVD is bootable, hold down the "C" key right after the startup sound chimes to boot from a bootable CD/DVD..

5. OS X Dude thread starter macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

Is that on the OS X partition boot? So I don't boot into Windows first and then press C? I'd assumed so, as I only want to know so Windows can handle any System Recovery discs I may need.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The firmware/EFI handles that so it's loaded before any OS. You can always select the boot volume by pressing C/alt, no matter what OS you were running before that.

7. OS X Dude thread starter macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude