Can you add a second disk to Mac Mini Late 2014 with SSD

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Dr_Charles_Forbin, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Dr_Charles_Forbin macrumors regular

Dr_Charles_Forbin

I've been looking around and I haven't been able to find a definitive answer. Some people say that if it ships with an SSD, there is no second space to add one. I've seen the teardown and it does look true, yet people say that there is a spot for the second SATA connector, I don't see it. I have a 500GB SSD in there and my LaCie thunderbolt is getting a bit flaky - but if i can just another 500GB drive internally rather than swapping out for a 1TB drive, it's cheaper. Has anyone does this or has any info? Thanks... Jim

2. treekram, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017

treekram macrumors 6502a

If you ordered the 2014 Mini with a SSD (which would have been the Apple non-SATA SSD), there is space for a SATA SSD. There is only space for one SATA device. Currently, you can only order the Apple 512GB SSD (which is not SATA) with the 2.8GHz model and I believe that's always been the case. If a SATA SSD was put in after purchase, there is no room for an additional SATA SSD. If an Apple PCIE SSD was put in after purchase, then the SATA slot is free (presuming you don't have a HDD there).

You can look at the System Information app under Hardware and click on the SATA item to see if there are any SATA devices in your computer.

EDIT: In looking at my 2014 Mini with the System Information app, the Thunderbolt devices also show up when "SATA/SATA Express" is selected. The SATA device (if any) will be under the "Intel 8 Series Chipset".

3. Celerondon, Mar 3, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017

Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

On a 2014 Mac mini wouldn't that "Apple non-SATA SSD" be a PCIe SSD? I agree with the general idea here. 2014 minis only accept one SATA device. If the mini originally came with the PCIe SSD then there will be room for a SATA device. However, if the computer was not originally equipped with a Fusion Drive you might have to obtain mounting hardware and a cable for your second storage device.

I am fairly certain that the particular 2014 mini SATA bay configuration that this OP owns has been discussed on this forum several times in the past couple of years. If we can't find threads that describe mount and cable requirements for an OEM (PCIe) SSD 2014 mini then the iFixit site or other teardown video sources might help the OP.

4. Celerondon macrumors 6502a

Celerondon

Here is one suggestion for how to add a SATA drive. It came from iFixit: https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/196915/SSD+and+second+hd+on+2014+Mac+Mini

Yes if you buy just the pcie ssd you will get the dual disk caddy included but you need to buy your own 2.5" drive (up to 9.5mm) and sata flex cable. Ideally get the ifixit pack as it includes rubber grommets. You'll need a t6h screw driver too.

Note: This would not use or be the "second SATA connector" because there is only SATA header on a 2014 mini. The other storage option is the PCIe connection.

5. Kaida macrumors regular

Kaida

Short answer: Yes
    Long answer: buy the upper cable kit and you can add in a 2.5" hdd/ssd.

6. Dr_Charles_Forbin thread starter macrumors regular

Dr_Charles_Forbin

Strangely enough, it shows up on the SATA tree as a PCI interconnect with a PCI protocol. Disk SM0512F. Go figure.... Apple doesn't make anything easy these days. Thanks....

7. Kaida macrumors regular

Kaida

I have the "F" model too and I was able to add in a second 2TB HDD using the upper kit.

8. treekram macrumors 6502a

Just to be sure - the "standard" install kits sold by OWC and iFixit assume you're going to install in the "upper" bay. This is the one you'll need vs. the OWC kit which is meant for 2012 Mini's where the existing hard drive was in the upper bay and which some people may refer to as the "upper bay kit".

9. Dr_Charles_Forbin thread starter macrumors regular

Dr_Charles_Forbin

SATA, correct?

10. treekram, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017

treekram macrumors 6502a

Yes, you need the SATA cable but the kits don't have SATA in the name.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Parts/Mac-Mini-Dual-Drive-Kit/IF171-005-2
    (Note: somebody who did what you want to do has left a comment.)

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DIYIMM11D2/

In addition, you need the tools described in the iFixit repair guide:
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+Mini+Late+2014+Hard+Drive+Replacement/32815

The iFixit guide is good because they show a unit which has the PCIE SSD installed and the steps to remove the cables attached to it. I followed the iFixit guide when I replaced my HDD. Just be careful when adding the drive.

11. Dr_Charles_Forbin thread starter macrumors regular

Dr_Charles_Forbin

12. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

This won't work. The 2014 Mac mini doesn't have the connector on the motherboard to support this.

13. tubular macrumors regular

tubular

Dr Forbin! A pleasure to finally meet you. How are things with Colossus and Guardian?

14. treekram macrumors 6502a

The 2014 Mini has a single SATA connector on the motherboard. The OP indicated that there wasn't a SATA device connected on their Mini (the Apple SSD was the disk) so they would be able to add a SATA device.

15. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP:

Don't know if you've made the decision yet, but if you have a 2014 Mini with an internal SSD, the fastest, easiest, safest way to "add storage" is to buy a USB3 drive and plug it in. There really isn't much more to it...