Can you add applications manually from two computers?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Pain, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Pain macrumors regular

One has all my stuff and is my home PC for my iPod. The other has a bunch of applications I kind of want to transfer over, because my home PC isn't always with me, considering I'm away this week.

Can I add applications manually without having to use Wi-Fi/change computers all lose all current data?

2. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

if i'm understanding you right.... you want your iPod Touch apps on the other computer along with your music?

you'll want to go here

Macintosh HD > Users > *User Name* > Music > iTunes > Mobile Applications

let me know if this helps.

3. Pain thread starter macrumors regular

Uhh...

...what I mean is, I want to add applications installed on other computers than my home PC, except if I sync, it'll erase my content. Is there to get pass this? Sort of like 'manually managing' applications?

Also, it's on PC, not Mac.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Are both computers logged in to the same iTunes account? If so, you can redownload the apps for free, either directly from the iPod or onto the computer you sync with.

Or on a PC, app files are stored in your iTunes\Mobile Applications directory. You can copy the app files off from one computer and into the other one, drag them into iTunes, then sync. I believe with a Touch, you can sync apps from one machine and media (music, videos) from another. However, *all* apps need to be synced from one computer -- you can't have some apps on one and some on another.

Oh, and here's another idea. Provided both computers are on the same iTunes account, try right-clicking on the Touch icon in iTunes, and select "Transfer Purchases." This should copy all the apps currently on the Touch onto the computer. The computer now has apps on the touch + apps that were downloaded to it, and you can now sync the whole set onto the touch. Again, I don't think this will erase any media off the Touch, but I can't 100% guarantee that part.

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I have done this with my work PC the only work around for me was to use the "transfer purchases" feature from right clicking on iPod in iTunes, which then copies from iPod to PC then sync. This way nothing is erased and then iTunes will just copy the new app(s) onto the iPod.

6. Pain thread starter macrumors regular

...what?

Devices > iPod > Transfer Purchases

...so, this will transfer all the apps not on my home PC, but then what? All the apps that are on this computer sync automatically? Does it erase my media?

I'm not attempting this so easily, mainly because I changed all the names of my songs to be appropriate instead of 'Lady Gaga - Just Dance' in the Songs section, but to 'Just Dance'. Too bad I only did it in my iPod and not the entire library. Mainly because everything had already synced. :p

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

when you set the iPod to manual you can tell it not to sync items like music video etc..... I just have applications ticked only and it erases nothing

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

??? What are you talking about? As far as I know, there's no way to edit song info on the iPod....