Can you always hear the fan?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macjoshua, Mar 15, 2011.

1. macjoshua macrumors 6502

I can always hear the right fan on my MBP. According to iStat Pro, it's always running at about 2000 rpm, which I know is normal. I just didn't know if it was normal to be able to hear the low hum of the fans all the time.

2. Cyberheart macrumors member

Cyberheart

yeah im always hearing mine but sometimes not it really depends if your using your macbook alot..

what you got is the Im new to mac holy **** is this defective? Syndrome lol dont worry its nothing to worry about its normal

3. shoegal macrumors member

Do you hear it next to the trackpad? That's where i hear this constant humming sound, like a fan.

4. macjoshua thread starter macrumors 6502

No, mine's at the back, under the screen. I'm not sure, but isn't the hard drive next to the trackpad?

5. macjoshua thread starter macrumors 6502

lol. maybe you're right. i just figured my new macbook pro would be quieter than my wife's nearly 3 year old macbook.

6. shoegal macrumors member

yes and that's where a lot of 2011 13" i7 owners here the fans somehow

7. Cyberheart macrumors member

Cyberheart

the fans are located near the screen what is near the trackpad is the HD it could be the hard drive humming. When i bought my macbook i hated the hard drive becuase it was noisy so i went to the store and bought a Hetachi 500GB 7200 RPM HD and replaced it myself and has been sounding normal ever since.. So the point is i think its the hard drive becuase i had the same problem the HD works and everything but the HD apple puts in their macbooks are 5400 RPM and i hate them they are slow and noisy i dont know why they put them in there... But if sound really bothers you then i say get a SSD drive. They dont make a noise.

8. shoegal macrumors member

I came from a 2010 13" baseline with hitachi with NO NOISE at all. so im really annoyed by this one. But i got a replacement...same noise. so youre saying I should replace it? I cant do that myself though because that will void my warranty right?

9. Cyberheart macrumors member

Cyberheart

legally they say that yes but i opened my macbook a million times there are no security stickers for them to figure out if it was opened or not.. But in your case if you dont know what your doing dont open the macbook its not worth it.. Yeah i blame the hard drive with the noise becuase i have that problem but you have to make sure you get a 7200 RPM replacement becuse 5400 RPM HD make that noise

10. shoegal macrumors member

thanks, I'll try to have an AASP replace this one!

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

So many people complaining about loud fans and HDDs on the new MBPs.

If you want an absolutely quiet drive, go for Hitachi or Toshiba. There's a reason why Apple uses them. I have a 500 GB 7200 rpm myself and you can't hear it at all.

12. DRPTHPHN macrumors member

I have just sent mine back because the HDD was really loud. I was going to deal with it until I heard a friends who bought the exact same model with the exact same specs (8gb ram, 500gb hdd) running silently.

So I sent mine back and a new one is on it's way hopefully it won't be equally as loud.

13. electronique macrumors 6502

My new 15" isnt loud at all... Every now and then the fans go crazy, but spin down soon enough.. When just browsing and stuff its super quiet, sitting at around 50 degrees celcius.

14. /user/me macrumors 6502

I have never been able to hear my hard drive in my computer, nor have I had all these temperature problems that people talk about.

15. grayh0und macrumors newbie

Yes, but its very soft. It shouldn't be an issue.

16. Derango macrumors regular

Replacing a hard drive does NOT void your warranty unless you do something stupid while replacing it like gouge a chunk out of the logic board with a screwdriver or something.

They print instructions on upgrading the RAM and Hard Drive in the users manual that comes with the computer.

It's not that hard, but if you're not technically inclined or are nervous about doing it, you're probably better off having somebody else do it and not risk damaging something.

17. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

SSD's are the quietest Hard drive you can get. :D

18. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

A fan noise thread has turned into a hard drive discussion.

Are the 2011 MBP's running louder because of fan noise compared to the 2010 MBP's.