Can you assure me refurbished iPhones are good?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amazingdm, Mar 17, 2011.

1. amazingdm macrumors 6502

I want swap my iPhone 4 for, what I assume will always be, a refurbished iPhone 4 through Apple.

If I get it, will it look and feel brand new?

Will the internals be closer to dying since they've been used?

2. qckslvrsiete macrumors regular

I'm not sure about replacement phones, but I'm 99% sure apple's refurb merchandise has the same warranty as their brand new stuff. I'd think it's something similar for repair replacements, i.e. the warranty on the replacement phone expires the same time as the warranty on your original phone would have.

3. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Are the batteries used in refurbs?

I used to be afraid of refurbs like as if they wil be less fast and crisp but ever since phones are so fast i would be less paranoid.

Still paranoid tho.

I mean those circuit boards and components are less new...

The warranty is not the problem but the cripness

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

They go through the same QC standards as a brand new one, so I don't see why a refurb would be lesser.

Nothing to worry about.

5. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

Im in the same state as you.

But im afraid that if I get a defective iPhone replacement I will be fighting with Apple to get a good working phone for months and months, and also I fear that it would come with 4.3 installed..

6. ozred macrumors 6502

I REALLY wish I could say yes to your questions. Apple refurbs used to be great. As good as new. But not anymore. It's hit and miss now.

Both new & refurbs have been suffering from declining quality. Not all, but enough to make it a gamble.

Like the saying goes " buyer beware ".

7. Merkie macrumors 68020

There's no difference between retail & refurbished phones.

8. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Every "remanufactured" iPhone 4 I have gotten as a replacement has been crap, well not crap just not 100% perfect. I'm just holding on to this one until I can sell it in 3 months.

I'm on iPhone 4 #6 - They all have ugly yellow screens or the home buttons are loose. I've never had one with bad battery life or any scratches. The only 2 problems I listed have had my "apple ocd" act up... lol :D

9. Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    I've purchased several refurb iPhones, both AT&T and Apple ones, and they have all came in perfect condition.

10. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

Bleh ok now I'm worried

1 about the battery life, 2 about the cameras, 3 about the condition of the screen etc..

you guys are scaring me.

But I suppose if they send me the replacement first I can just send it back if I don't like it, right?

11. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

Just do it at the genius bar, that way you can see it before you leave.

12. amazingdm thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah but I don't feel like dealing with people to be honest. They might be picky and be like "oh that's not a problem worth giving you a different one"

13. whyhellojoe macrumors member

its your right as a paying customer dude. go for it!

14. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

Apple Geniuses are usually really nice. I had a problem with my new iphone 4 and when I went in to get it replaced, they replaced it after running a few diagnostics. When that had a slight problem with the sim card reader thing, the guy replaced it literally without looking at it. He was like "so whats the problem" and I said "the sim card reader sometimes doesnt work and the home button is unresponsive at times" and he went back, got a replacement and it was fine.

15. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Not true at all. If there was 'no difference' then why would they sell them cheaper?

All refurbished phones from Apple get both the front/back replaced so the parts are looking new and fresh.. But you really don't know what problems the phone had when it was taking back to the store. I personally stay away from them.

16. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

You got lucky with the Att phone then because they sometimes sell refurbished phones that look refurbished. At least with Apple you always get a new front and rear.

17. Howdr macrumors regular

Howdr

Yes there is,
    Retail = New no one has ever used it

Refurb = USED

theres a difference, if very minor scratches bother you then refurb is not for you.

I have bought 2 refurb iphones and they had very minor scratches didn't bother me.

After a year when I sold them they were in "As new shape" since I keep a screen protector and case on them.............

18. Howdr macrumors regular

Howdr

Yes true, At&t does not replace anything, they shine them up and sell them.

What do you want for $19, $9 or free?

19. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

well if theres a problem you could always take it back...

20. aristobrat macrumors G4

Apple puts new external shells and new batteries on all iPod and iPhone refurbs. How the heck are you getting ones with scratches?!

Edit: I see you bought refurbs. Apple doesn't sell refurbs, so you got them from a carrier?

21. Howdr macrumors regular

Howdr

Yeah 3g was $99 back then
    the 3gs was $19 last fall

I sold the 3GS for $270 and the 3g for $180 in Feb 2011 and picked up a brand new Iphone4 So the value on these is great!

22. bookwormsy macrumors 6502

Refurbs directly from apple are fine. So that's replacement iPhones. Refurbs from ATT are not, they just polish it up and sell it to you. Apple refurbs are very similar to new iPhones, ATT refurbs are like used iPhones.

23. saberahul macrumors 68040

Can I assure that they are good? No. I can, however, mention that the devices are tested and if they do not work, you're welcome to get an exchange for no cost.

24. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

correct

the rest of you guys need to take some Ativan and chill

25. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

Leet Apple

Refurb's from Apple are new looking, and as others have said if there any problems you can get it swapped immediately