Can You Avoid the Front-Page Until after the Keynote?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appleguy123, Oct 1, 2011.

1. appleguy123 macrumors 604

appleguy123

I've been visiting all of the rumor sites, and frankly it's pretty confusing. First we're told there will be only a 4S, and then comes iPhone 5 cases, and then iTunes strings.

Does any long time reader really think that they can avoid the front page until after the event? I've been reading for a long time, and I really feel that not much has been spoiled yet this year. You could stop reading the news articles right now, and be legitimately surprised about the Keynote. I'm sure that starting Monday, real details will start to leak through The WallStreet Journal and other reputable news agencies.

If you want to try to take this challenge with me, you have to not visit the MacRumors front-page, and hide the news discussion threads in the forum spy(if you use it).

Or you could just thumbs down this post, and troll me(yes, I know you iPhone forum), I don't really care, this is just the internet. You won't affect me.

PS. I think that the phone icon with the notification on it means one missed call. The missed call is the one that the rumor sites and Arn are making about the new iPHone just being a redesign. We'll see.

2. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

3. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Yeah just ignore it, usually MacRumors goes back to it's original site within an hour or so after the event.

Also, a few hours after the event Apple would release the keynote on iTunes, so check that out if anything.

4. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 604

appleguy123

By 'You' I meant you the reader of that post. I obviously know that it is possible to avoid the front page. ;)

5. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I've got problems to be spending as much time on the iPhone 5 release as I have. Might have to cut it off cold turkey until after the event :(

6. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

My company has it's own internal keynote (state of the company) at 10am so I'll be there to keep me distracted.

7. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 604

appleguy123

This is about my reasoning too. I don't know why I care so much about it. Apple's marketing is genius.
    It just hit me a few days ago that this is just a new model of a cell phone, not the invention of penicillin.

8. ap3604 macrumors 68000

I've been acting like a kid who can't sleep because I'm too anxious waiting for Santa Claus to come with the present... :rolleyes:

That's not a good thing and I'm throwing in the towel for good till the 4th. Even then I'll probably limit myself to 5 - 10 min/day max of MacRumors from now on :(

Thanks for helping me with my "eureka" moment appleguy :)

9. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

Wow, don't think I can stop checking the rumor sites and such. On my computer and iPhone, when I try to type "macrumors," the first link is actually for the forums, so I inevitably end up in the forums. But avoiding other news sites for rumors and such would be hard for me.

10. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 604

appleguy123

You can stay active on the forums. Just not the news discussion ones. ;)

11. AIP5 macrumors 6502a

That's what I've been trying to do, but some of these posts get Closed and moved to the front page and such, making it harder to stay off the Front Page. :(

12. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 604

appleguy123

:D I just want to be surprised this time. It's really amazing that we don't know really what's going to happen yet.

13. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Totally missed that, my bad.

But to answer your question, no i absolutely cannot. I've been pulling this iPhone 3G for the longest time, and i'll be upgrading pronto, so i'll be glued to the screen!

14. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 604

appleguy123

It's okay! I sometimes get TLDR flare-ups too. :D fwiw, I'll probably fail too. But I've removed all my Mac sites from the bookmarks bar to prevent any habitual clicking. I still have my find posts by Appleguy123 though.

15. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Very recently I've limited myself to visiting macrumors only once or twice per day. I had the same realisation you did and I knew that I was spending way too much time on here. Even for the forums I'm getting sick of all the stupid repetitive posts, so I've stopped clicking here until after the keynote (this is my first time to the forums today).

16. Nachoconqueso macrumors regular

I'm gonna avoid everything until then, flip on apple.com when I get going on Tuesday, and take it from there. Hopefully we get an apple broadcast.

17. admanimal macrumors 68040

I would recommend avoiding the Macrumors forums completely during the keynote and for the next week or so afterwards. It's going to get ugly.

18. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 604

appleguy123

Yep. That's my only issue. What if there's a live stream, and I miss it because I'm avoiding the front page to stay surprised. :eek:

----------

Disappointed fan boys who were expecting the cure for cancer in a 5mm package is one of my favorite parts of the Keynote experience!

19. Dheald macrumors member

Here's hoping they do another live stream. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last keynote wasn't broadcast, was it?

I know the iPhone 4 launch was, but any since that?

20. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 604

appleguy123

No, it wasn't. But I think the last even held at Apple campus was live-streamed. I could be wrong though.

21. Pez555 macrumors 68020

Pez555

cant ignore it....tomorrow is the last day for any hope of iPhone 5 parts being leaked until the keynote! ;).

22. deeddawg macrumors 604

Naw, in past experience it seems to dissolve into a myriad of threads whining about how disappointed/disgusted with Apple the posters are. Lots of focus on what the device isn't instead of on what it is. I'm not sure why anyone would develop a sense of expectation based on unfounded rumors and speculation, but it seems to happen every time.

No matter what Apple announces on Tuesday, we'll see a bunch of whining about how it should have been more (megapixels, memory, cpu, screen, etc.) We'll also have a few drama queens spouting off about why they're heading off to the Android platform and how Apple is doomed as if anyone really cares.

Then the forum will shift into who's camping out where, dozens of questions about when it'll be available despite the info being easily available, discussions of whether it's worth upgrading or waiting for some other rumored version, threads full of people talking about whether to sell their current phone in advance of launch, etc.

Once it hits the streets, there will be a few days of unboxing videos (seriously, *why* does anyone want to watch you open a box? :confused:) and general discussion of new features. After the initial wave, we'll likely see some sort of xyz-gate issue get a bunch of hype even though it may or may not have any real effect in actual usage.

Did I miss any major points? :D

23. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 604

appleguy123

24. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Totally understand where you're coming from, and i'm the same in some aspect. I'm just way too excited to get anything done, and i can't wait for the announcement regardless.

I'll be on Macrumors until the next iPhone is launched and i'll finally get back to being productive once again. I'll probably come on the forums a month before the next big Mac product or iPhone is launched :p

You missed how everyone will be talking about the iPhone 6 the moment after this iPhone is launched. And threads like "should i get the iPhone 4S or wait for the 6?" or "should i get the Galaxy S3 or the 6?" etc.

25. DataEast macrumors member

This is probably the funniest post I've ever read on this forum.