can you backup to Time Capsule "wired only"?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by btownguy, Aug 13, 2009.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502

Is it possible to physically connect your Time Capsule to your wired ethernet network and then have your backups occur over the wire like this?

MacBook Pro wireless -> Linksys WRT54G router -> physically connected Time Capsule

Can you turn off all wireless functions of the Time Capsule and just backup in this manner?

2. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I don't know why you'd want to do that, because for around $110, you can get a 1 TB external.

3. The ArchAngel macrumors regular

I don't have my Time Capsule in front of me to answer all of your questions, but you definitely can backup over wired ethernet when connected directly to the Time Capsule - I've done this many times in the past. I think you can shut off the radio as well.

Not sure how this would behave with another router in between. Are you just not wild about the lack of configuration options for the TimeCapsule or what? If not, as another poster has already said, you could have just purchased a 1TB drive and a USB enclosure for much cheaper and arrived at roughly the same solution.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sure, I have my MBP connected to my TC via a cat5 cable, and TM works flawlessly. When I'm moving around the house, its nice to back up my MBP wirelessly but when I'm in my home office, its wired into Time Capsule.

5. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

The OP is asking if they can use another router as a middleman.

6. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Why not extend your network and run both???

7. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

That doesn't make sense. He has an external HD with ethernet support. He also has a wireless router. OP wants to combine the 2 into a "Time Capsule". OP doesn't want to spend the money on a TC from Apple because he/she has all of the necessary parts, he/she just wants to know if it is possible.

Sorry OP, I dont have an answer, just wanted to help clarify your question for others who may

8. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

The OP has a Time Capsule, considering they said that their router has, and I quote, a "physically connected Time Capsule". :D

I think rkdiddy's answer actually does make sense. When AirPort Utility asks what you are doing, tell it you are simply extending the range of an existing network (which would be the Linksys router to which his Mac is connected). Then again, you'd probably have to be in range of the TC for backups to work...

As for the OP, since you aren't getting any answers, I guess not many people have tried this. But you have all the parts...so I say try it yourself and see what happens! :D And be sure to let us know. (I'm going to guess that if it doesn't work, you may need to experiment with port forwarding on the Linksys, but I'm not sure what ports the backup portion of TC uses.)

9. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Thanks RMo for the love. :)

Yeah since the OP mentioned his/her Linksys router (which is wireless) and a TC - I was a little thrown off.

10. tufarolo macrumors newbie

Mixed time capsule wired and separate wireless network

Daughter has mac book in dorm room and a time capsule.
    They "detected" her wireless and said it had to go (might interfere with existing wireless campus).

I still want to encourage her to have automatic backups.

So, can I setup the time capsule without wireless and have it connected to mac book, AND still have her mac book connect wirelessly to the campus network? Meaning the actual time capsule would not have a WAN connection.

I seemed to recall if the mac was plugged into the time capsule, it was expecting its internet connection to come thru that device, and shows an error that the WAN side of the time capsule isn't connected.

Alternatively, can I have the time capsule wireless hidden from all but us :)

Thanks in advance for any help

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes you can have an intermediate router as long as everything is on the same subnet.