can you backup your sms from the iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by haymandesign, Jan 27, 2011.

1. haymandesign macrumors newbie

As the title says, i have an iphone 4 and i wish to backup and keep the sms (i smashed the screen so phone is about to get repaired and wiped).
    Help please.

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

I found this with a search:
    http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I thought an iTunes backup backed up SMS messages.

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Doh.. Of course, I don't know what I was thinking... It would be easier to backup the "old" phone with iTunes, and set up the "new" one with the backup.

EDIT!
    As a precaution, after you backup your phone, you might want to browse to the folder that contains your iTunes backups and drag a copy of your latest backup to the desktop.
    That way, no matter what you or iTunes does, you will have a "safe" backup, that will not get overwritten.

5. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Correct. Just back up your iphone with itunes.... Then when you get the new one restore from backup of old iphone and all your messages should appear.

Edit* FYI to force itunes to back up your phone just right click on your phone in the left sidebar and select backup from the list.... same thing for restore from backup.

6. bugaboo12 macrumors newbie

Also, if you're feeling extra cautious, you can browse your iTunes backup before you force the new backup and move away/rename the old backup folder, forcing iTunes to back it all up from scratch (versus just overwriting whats changed).

I also use a little tool called Decipher TextMessage to read the SMS messages from my backup files. I use it for archiving and record keeping. http://deciphertools.com